Niner RLT9 (2-star build) 105 upgrading to Sram Force 1

ZachLegleiter
ZachLegleiter Posts: 13
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
Hey everyone. I posted last week about purchasing a good gravel bike. I ended up going with a Niner RLT9 (2-star build) It has Shimano 2x11 installed. I would like to upgrade the bike to Sram's new 1x groupset.

I found a great deal online for a Sram Force 1 groupset. I want to make sure before i purchase, that i have the correct components, and most importantly that the new Sram group will be compatible with the bike.

The Niner RLT9 bike has:
FSA PF30 Bottom bracket
Shimano 105 Group
Avid BB5 Mechanical Disc brakes

The Sram Force 1 Group I am looking at ordering has:
Sram Force 1 Crankset BB30 (42t, 172.5mm)
Sram Force 1 Medium Cage RD
Sram Force 1 L/R Shifter/Brake levers
Sram PC-1170 Chain

My biggest question is; Will the new Sram crank work with the BB? Sram BB30-crank to FSA PF30-BB.

Secondly; This is the first Disc bike i've ever owned so let me apologize in advance for my ignorance. Will the Avid BB5 brakes work with the new group? (If i am not mistaken, Avid is a Sram company? So i would assume they are compatible?)

Finally; The bike comes with a Shimano 105 11-32t cassette, can i use that with the new Sram group or do i need to get a Sram cassette? I fully plan on getting a Sram cassette eventually, but the Sram cassettes aren't on sale right now and I want to wait and see if i can get a good deal on one. I just want to know if i can get by with using the Shimano cassette for awhile while i find a good deal on a Sram cassette.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Comments

• After a quick google, Niner themselves have your bike with a Shimano crank, whilst retailers flit between an FSA Gossamer and an SRAM S350. If it is the Shimano crank, then there's an adaptor of some kind in place you'll need to remove to go back to PF30.

As far as cranks go, PF30 and BB30 are the same. The difference only pertains to how the BB bearings fit into the frame, crank spec is identical.

The brakes will be grand. BB5R are set up to operate with the cable pull of road brake levers.

11 Speed cassettes from all the major manufacturers are cross compatible in practice. There's so little difference in spec that they all work more or less the same. SRAM and Shimano still use the same freehub spline pattern, so you can use either. The only negative is that Shimano 11 Speed doesn't offer anything lower than a 32 tooth cassette in a road cassette, and I've a notion their mountain cassettes aren't compatible with road wheels.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Brakes - if youre buying a whole group I would get the hydrualic brakes anyway. If you re gonna do disc's, do 'em properly. The new SRAM Hydraulic discs are great!

BB's - not sure, but SRAM do funny things with their BBs, the BSA or Smaller Pressfit bearing (can't remember what they re called) are not cross compatible
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • As above - go with hydraulic brakes and do the job properly. BB5 brakes, as I mentioned in your other thread, are very old tech and, whilst OK, aren't great - they really are the cheap end of the market. Personally I don't understand the need to swap from 105 and I certainly wouldn't do that then retain the brakes - I'd have done exactly the reverse - dump the brakes and keep the 105
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH