Kinesis Racelight RL 700 Disc Wheels

RuthinRoadWarrior
RuthinRoadWarrior Posts: 25
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
These look good.

Wide-ish rim and 28 spokes.

I have 15mm thru axle front, 10m thru axle rear.

The Kinesis site says front wheel is OK, but they are only listing standard QR and 12mm axle for the rear.

Anyone know if they plan to supply 10mm end caps?

I've e-mailed them but they don't reply to e-mails.

Comments

• Gotta say that that, having just bought a bike with thru axles, the benefits are over-blown. Certainly fitting disc wheels is neither easier or more accurate/reliable than QR - nor have I noticed any improvement in stiffness (QR was never a problem). What it does mean is that it's tough to get the bike on turbos, bike stands, roof racks etc.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    As above really. I have never gone round a corner on my disc brake equipped bikes and though what I really need is a stiffer axle to help me get round. I also cannot tell the difference when riding between Q/R and tru axles. Another marketing thing that in theory is of benefit but in reality has little impact on mortals or gods.

Larger stiffer axles are used in cartridge bearing hubs because they are lighter than narrow steel ones. Thru axle hub with the axle and the fork tend to be heavier than the Q/R hub, skewer and fork.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    I heard TA helps with brake disc alignment.

Sorry, OP, no idea. It will probably be a few years until it's widely used by pros and market is enriched with compatible products/adaptors.
  • I heard TA helps with brake disc alignment.

The answer is no. I know that because in 5 years I've never had a problem with brake disc alignment on my QR bike. I honestly wish my thru axle bike had QR.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I'm not debating pros and cons with thru axles.

I'm asking if Kenesis will do a 10mm thru axle for the rear wheel.

My bike is 10mm rear thru axle. Not QR.