megavalanche 2016

Bojangle
Bojangle Posts: 63
edited January 2016 in MTB general
Hi, new to this forum so sorry if it's in the wrong place.

Next year I turn 40 :cry: So wanted to do something a bit different rather than just go into town and get s**tfaced :wink: So Megavalanche it is! The only problem is i've never done it before and i'm struggling to get any mates to commit to it, so it looks like it's only my wife and i going, which is the problem!!! She doesn't ride and i'm gonna feel guilty riding and leaving her to her own devices for a few days. So i'm looking for advice or help from anyone that is or has been in my situation before. Also not sure to drive and ride or use a company to arrange it all.

If it helps we both like to drink and party, I used to ride DH, but now stick mainly to trail centres like afan etc, ride swinley in berkshire weekly, She likes to read!!!!

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    A few friends who are regulars at the Mega have said they won't be going back. They said it's not as good as it used to be when it was mainly mad frenchies with crazy riding. Now everyone thinks they're a serious enduro racer, the fun element is disappearing.
    When I went a couple years ago I thought pretty much the same and had more fun just going out riding.
    If I was to do a big event in the Alps again it would be the Passportes During Soliel. Looks like an amazing ride and not as serious.
  • Thats a shame because the vids you see online make it look like a load of fun. I'm used to competitive racing so i'm not too bothered about the serious riders competing , but it's good to know.
  • HI mate,

My story sounds similar to yours, although I'm only 34 :D

I used to race DH, recently (last two years) got back into MTBing but more Enduro / XC type stuff and I fancy the Mega in '16. I'll also struggle to put together a bunch of mates who'll be up for it.

So if you fancy going out on a shared trip i'd be up for it.
  • Hob Nob
    Hob Nob Posts: 200
    I would drive, it's not hard to sort things out yourself.

Really, to make life easier you need to stay in ADH from a riding/racing perspective. The problem is, even on Mega week, it's a bit of ghost town. A non rider is going to be pretty bored there after a day or two.

That said, if you are lucky with the weather, it's a beautiful place to be - if you are unlucky (like last year for example) it will be freezing cold & snowing on the mountain still, it was pretty crappy all round.

I have been a few times, it's always been a bit of fun - can't really say i've noticed a change in the dynamic of people who have entered. I think everyone who goes is a little bit nutty, trying to ride down a black ski run in a race with 400 other people requires a certain mindset in my experience.

It's a fun week if the weather is good. It's tough if it's rough weather.
  • Bojangle wrote:
    Hi, new to this forum so sorry if it's in the wrong place.

Next year I turn 40 :cry: So wanted to do something a bit different rather than just go into town and get s**tfaced :wink: So Megavalanche it is! The only problem is i've never done it before and i'm struggling to get any mates to commit to it, so it looks like it's only my wife and i going, which is the problem!!! She doesn't ride and i'm gonna feel guilty riding and leaving her to her own devices for a few days. So i'm looking for advice or help from anyone that is or has been in my situation before. Also not sure to drive and ride or use a company to arrange it all.

If it helps we both like to drink and party, I used to ride DH, but now stick mainly to trail centres like afan etc, ride swinley in berkshire weekly, She likes to read!!!!

FIRST TIMER HERE TOO!
    Your wife knows what she's getting into by coming so that's settled. Then again she might also just enjoy sometime to herself at home without you :S heheh...

While one comment about the event losing it's luster is concerning I want to give it a shot anyway. Afterwards maybe I have the same impression, maybe not. It oughta be fun so long as I don't get myself in the hospital!

After catching the AM/Enduro bug late last year I must have joined a 1/2 dozen bike forums. Coincidentally I realized today that I registered here late last year and forgot bout til a few days while searching forums for info about Mega. I've also followed up in a thread like this on pinkbike: http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomme ... tid6106791
    These forums are great but if I join one more I'm gonna lose it...

Anywho, best to you on your travel arrangements. Keep discussing!
    Happy Trails!
    John (Frankfurt, Germany)