Frame crackage - need a new frameset

janesy
janesy Posts: 148
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
My Trek Madone 5 series has cracked at the seat stay. I'm not fixing it as its already been repaired once and is 2 years old.

So am looking for a new frame set. I have good components, Carbon bars, Powermeter good wheels Ultegra di2 etc, any ideas on a suitable frameset would be helpful.

Little about myself which may help the discission process...
    I'm a time trialist with an ftp of 340 watts and rising. 71kg so quiet a powerful rider.
    I was Cat2 this year but I'm not bothered with crit racing - hence the first carbon repair. However may enter a road race or 2.
    I like fast rides of any length up to 100+ miles fastest 100 miler was 22.8mph avg with 4 of us pulling turns
    I've had a VanNicolas Zepher which I sold. I loved this bike but couldn't sprint more than 800watts without it turning in to a fish - so not Ti
    Preferably Di2 internal
    Needs to fit shimano 24mm chainset - its a rotor 24 Power2max
    I thinking Steel or Aluminium, possible thoughts are the Specialized Allez Sworks frameset ( not di2 though). Or the Genesis Volare 931 2016 frameset.
    Not disk
I have many nice sets of wheels, 25mm rims with 25mm tyres, so good tyre clearance needed.

Any ideas welcomed, budget of £1500.
Ritchey Road Logic - Focus Izalco Chrono Max 1.0 TT

Comments

• janesy
    Thanks for the option. I think I'm after a racey Steel or aluminium di2 frameset.
  • My Trek Madone 5 series has cracked at the seat stay. I'm not fixing it as its already been repaired once and is 2 years old.

So am looking for a new frame set. I have good components, Carbon bars, Powermeter good wheels Ultegra di2 etc, any ideas on a suitable frameset would be helpful.

Little about myself which may help the discission process...
      I'm a time trialist with an ftp of 340 watts and rising. 71kg so quiet a powerful rider.
      I was Cat2 this year but I'm not bothered with crit racing - hence the first carbon repair. However may enter a road race or 2.
      I like fast rides of any length up to 100+ miles fastest 100 miler was 22.8mph avg with 4 of us pulling turns
      I've had a VanNicolas Zepher which I sold. I loved this bike but couldn't sprint more than 800watts without it turning in to a fish - so not Ti
      Preferably Di2 internal
      Needs to fit shimano 24mm chainset - its a rotor 24 Power2max
      I thinking Steel or Aluminium, possible thoughts are the Specialized Allez Sworks frameset ( not di2 though). Or the Genesis Volare 931 2016 frameset.
      Not disk
    I have many nice sets of wheels, 25mm rims with 25mm tyres, so good tyre clearance needed.

Any ideas welcomed, budget of £1500.

Cool story. For info.
    My FTP is 341W and I only weigh 70kg.
    I'm Elite but not bothered with racing.
    I like fast rides. Me and my 2 other training partners normally knock out 120 miles at 24.763mph average with each of us pulling turns.
    I've had a flash bike but when I won my 6th Tour stage I hit 2400W and I could smell fish.
  • janesy
    Dick.

So recommend a fast bike or just be a keyboard warrior?
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Save up. Get a Condor Super Acciaio. Or an Enigma Excel; I reckon the 6Al 4v Ti will handle your 800w.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Dick.

Surely its the rider who makes the bike "fast"

Anyway, assuming the geometry of the Trek was ideal - I would look for something with similar stack reach figures.
    Obvious contenders in Aluminium would be the CAAD 10 and the Canyon Ulimate Aluminium frame.
  • Dick.

Richard. Only my friends call me dick.

Buy a TT bike, you will go really fast
  • janesy
    I have a Focus Chrono Max 1.0.

OK it was probably hard to understand from the original post, I'm looking for a steel / aluminium or Ti with a race orientated geometry. with space for 25mm tyres and Di2 internal compatible. for Max budget of £1500.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    My FTP is 250w and I weigh 78kg and I'm also a time triallist. My 100 is faster than yours and I was the only one on the front. Get a TT bike. Oh and stop with the willy waving. No one cares.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • In defense (if he needs it) of the OP I don't think it's unreasonable to quote figures as it should help filter out frames which aren't going to work.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Grill
    Then he just needs to say he wants a stiff frame. No need to bring the rest into it. Were I him, I'd pick up an old Foil for tuppence and stop crashing into things. If he really wants something made of metal, then the Volare 851 (the 931 is a waste of money) or a Caad 10/12 will be fine.

On another note, are there any road framesets that won't a 24mm chainset? I can't think of any off the top of my head...
  • janesy
    Jesus guys, what's with the rudeness regarding wily waving etc.

To be fair it was to describe what sort of riding I do. I dont want a 'sportive' bike with mud guards etc. I wanted a bike with race geometry.
  • janesy
    I do find it funny that when power data is mentioned people get funny and think it's boasting..grow up. Simple thread to ask for any options for a bike frameset.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Hello, my name is mamil314 and i pootle (which takes a lot of effort). I do not have a power meter but a lot of girls overtake me on the Box Hill, so, going by that measurement, my legs could be a bit stronger. At least i can stuff my Rapha clad belly when at the top for consolation. Because of this thread, i can now buy a TT bike and stop being slow. Or CAAD. Thanks!
  • Grill
    I do find it funny that when power data is mentioned people get funny and think it's boasting..grow up. Simple thread to ask for any options for a bike frameset.

Was your FTP like 310w a couple months ago? How'd you raise it so fast? :P
  • Grill
    Also, FTP has absolutely no bearing on bike selection. Boardman had an insane FTP, but he couldn't flex a paper mache Boris bike.
  • Interesting word that.... "crackage"

New one on me....
  • Grill
    Thought that was another name for plumber's butt.
  • janesy
    edited December 2015

Was your FTP like 310w a couple months ago? How'd you raise it so fast? :P

It was over a year ago.
  • janesy
    Also, FTP has absolutely no bearing on bike selection. Boardman had an insane FTP, but he couldn't flex a paper mache Boris bike.

Totally agree. But it does have a bearing on what I want my bike for. I don't want a freaking Boris bike. Or Croix De Fer with mud guards and racks for example. I'm looking for a race / training hard / ride fast bike.

Anyway enough of talking about power. bored.
  • Grill
    You could have simply said that you want a stiff frame with aggressive/race geo that is 'fast' and still comfortable enough for centuries (all bikes are as long as the fit and saddle are good). Boom. Done.

Have you managed to race any UCI sanctioned TT's?
  • janesy
    2016 will be my second season TTing so who knows. You?
    I still dont understand your problem with me saying what my ftp and style of riding is. strange....

admin, close thread please.
  • Grill
    That wasn't my question. My question was how many TT's have you done that require a UCI legal position?