first roadbike

arcticsport
arcticsport Posts: 4
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
Hello,
I have an opportunity to buy stock clearance Bianchi roadbikes. It´s my first roadbike and mainly i know that things you have to look for are wheels and groupset. First bike is 2013 Bianchi Vertigo carbon with shimano 105 - http://road-bikes.gearsuite.com/l/1978/2013-Bianchi-Vertigo-105 (same color). Second choice is 2014 Bianchi Intenso carbon with shimano 105 - http://www.lavelocita.cc/la-velocita-reviews/bianchi-intenso-review (only black and white) and the last one is 2014 Bianchi Intenso Ultegra carbon 2 x 11sp - http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Bianchi-C2C-Intenso-Carbon-Ultegra-2014-Road-Bike_65942.htm
First bike is 1035euros, second 1175euros and third (Intenso ultegra) 1340euros. Which one you recommend? Is there a big difference in gearing 2 x 10sp or 2 x 11sp?

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I would have a little think about this before you rush in to buy a bargain. Probably the most important point about a bike is not the groupset or the wheels but the actual fit. This doesn't mean you need a pro-level bike fit, but it does mean you need to buy the right size and the right geometry bike for you. Road bikes can often appear to be all the same but there can be a big variance in some key factors like top tube/head tube length, handling, comfort, etc.

Have a think about what you want from the bike...riding all year in all weathers? If so, then brake clearance is a factor as you may want to consider mudguards, etc. If you prefer a more upright riding style then you may want to avoid bikes with "race geometry" in the blurb as they typically have a low front (although they sharper handling). What about disk brakes? Well, lots of debate there and everyone has their own opinion...so have a look around and see what you think.

Wheels are important but really shouldn't be a major issue when choosing a first bike since the ones that come with most bikes are usually good enough (and invariably sold just to get the bike rolling) and will certainly suffice for winter training, etc. Wheels are usually the first major upgrade whatever the bike purchased but that is nothing to worry about upfront or in the first few months.

Groupset? Well, everyone has their favourite but my view is that everything from the current Tiagra up works pretty well, the more you pay from there on, the more grams saved (although the savings get less and less as the price shoots up). 10/11 speed are both fine. Having an extra gear or two won't make a night and day difference.

Finally, bear in mind that decent low price bikes like the Btwin range offers can be less than £500 and yet still offer a great bike that will not hinder the performance of 99% of all riders, whatever the marketing BS of higher price bikes says (nonsense like "this bike climbs really well" is just that, nonsense). Hence, it might be worth considering something lower priced/second hand to you get you into the sport.
  • Thanks for the introduction into cycling world :-) But back to the topic now. All listed bikes have Bianchi C2C frame geometry means more upright body position. I'm planning to ride only dry weather from spring to late autumn. No winter riding. I appreciate any information that could help me decide.
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    Thanks for the introduction into cycling world :-) But back to the topic now. All listed bikes have Bianchi C2C frame geometry means more upright body position. I'm planning to ride only dry weather from spring to late autumn. No winter riding. I appreciate any information that could help me decide.

Wouldnt buy any of them - if you are that set on getting a Bianchi, it needs to be in celeste green or you're missing the point.

On the other hand, any of them depending how much budget you've got
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Thanks for the introduction into cycling world :-) But back to the topic now. All listed bikes have Bianchi C2C frame geometry means more upright body position. I'm planning to ride only dry weather from spring to late autumn. No winter riding. I appreciate any information that could help me decide.

I would listen to Bobbinogs. For a first bike you need to get one which fits correctly. With all due respect but as a newbie you might not appreciate that if you just buy one which you like the look of best but the bike turns out to be the incorrect size then you will struggle to find a comfortable fit. This can cause injuries or just make the ride a miserable experience.

Get the right fit and you will reap the benefits.

I would also definitely look at something cheaper for the first bike. Perhaps a Btwin, or lower end Boardman (they are on sale at the mo), or even second hand. This would allow you to see if you do enjoy the sport and if you do and get the bug (it does get bl00dy addictive) you could always keep the bike for a training bike, or sell it, and then upgrade.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Very good advice in the above post.
  • Thank you all for comments. I´d like to ask about the frame size. I´m looking for Bianchi Intenso carbon frame size 57cm. My height is 5 feet 11 21⁄32 inches, reach is 6 feet and inseam is 32,5-33 inches. Is it ok for me or should i look for a 55cm size frame?
  • I have a 57cm Bianchi via Nirone, and am 5'11 with a 32" inside leg. The bike is a great fir and a pleasure to ride. With your measurements I would definitely go for a 57cm frame.
    Do none of the bikes have a Campag group set? Campag should be compulsory on a Bianchi... :)