DT Swiss 350 IS 6 Bolt Disc MTB Hub Converting to Road 11 Sp

Sergeant Rock
Sergeant Rock Posts: 56
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi, I recently bought a DT Swiss 350 IS 6 Bolt, 5mm x 135mm, QR Rear disc hub for a cyclo-cross wheel build. I got the hub from Germany and it duly arrived and was dispatched to my LBS for building up with my other components. I got the wheel back at the weekend and set about preparing it for use. When I came to install my cassette, an 11 Speed Shimano road cassette, it would not fit; the free wheel was too short.

I have spoken to the shop in Germany, and the UK distributer and apparently I have bought a MTB hub which is suitable for Shimano 9/10/11 speed – that is MTB 11 speed and not road 11 speed. Putting aside my annoyance with myself, and the far from clear information as to this hub being MTB only, I am now stuck with a wheel which will only take 10 speed road cassettes and I am running a SRAM Rival 1 11 speed rear mech etc.

The wheel is built up so returning the hub is not really an option. The UK distributor is adamant, despite some views to the contrary on the web, that you cannot swap out the MTB 9/10/11 speed freewheel for an 11 speed freewheel, which, if correct, means I have a wheel I can’t use. The only other way round the problem may be to add some extra spacers and block out a gear giving 10 speeds with eleven speed spacing but this is hardly ideal.

Any ideas or experiences relating to this problem would be very gratefully received as otherwise it is going to cost me a packet to put this right.

Thanks in advance.

Comments