Oakley Prizm Road or Photochromic

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
I've decided on some nice new Oakley Radar EV's but am torn between the Prizm road lenses and Photochromic ones.

I can't be bothered with the faff or expense of having multiple lenses so ideally want some that will work at 7.00 in January and the middle of the day in August (all in the UK so probably the same dingy light anyway).

My previous glasses were Adaptalite Specializeds which were great so I'm kind of happy with the Photochromic style but would I be missing out on the super duper powers of Prizm?

Has anyone experience of both and what would you go for if you could only have one set?

I only started looking at the Photochromic ones as I was being a tart thinking the grey frames are so much nicer than the white/red Prizm ones...

Comments

• ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    I've only used Photochromic with radarlocks. I'm not overly impressed, my main problem is they don't get dark enough for mid summer use. I think they block 70% whereas the black lenses block 90%. Something like that anyway
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have both (best two Oakley lenses IMO) and it would definitely be the photochromics if I could only have one.

The photochromics go darker than Prizms I think.
    Not sure any other photochromics have as good a range, so if you want darker you need two different lenses.
    Never felt either were not dark enough though, and I feel I have sensitive eyes, and have used Prizms in sunny Spain.

You are missing out on something with the Prizms. How about Radarlock rather than EV.
    More options for the future.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you have just one lens then it'll be OK all year-round but not brilliant.

You need something like yellow or persimmon on these really crappy dull winter days.
    Much nicer than clear.

Photochromic would do for the better weather.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I use photochromics in all conditions from night time winter rides to mid summer rides in the Alps in full sun. I have never felt that i needed anything else.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I have both (best two Oakley lenses IMO) and it would definitely be the photochromics if I could only have one.

The photochromics go darker than Prizms I think.
    Not sure any other photochromics have as good a range, so if you want darker you need two different lenses.
    Never felt either were not dark enough though, and I feel I have sensitive eyes, and have used Prizms in sunny Spain.

You are missing out on something with the Prizms. How about Radarlock rather than EV.
    More options for the future.

Ditto, Prizm is good but photochromic is the do everything lens. I've used them on the Alps in summer through to a gloomy winter days in the uk, you don't really need anything else.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I use photochromics in all conditions from night time winter rides to mid summer rides in the Alps in full sun. I have never felt that i needed anything else.

You need to try out a yellow lens for dull winter days. Awesome?
  • anjasola
    anjasola Posts: 145
    Photochromic for me, perfect.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I just started using transitions in a rudy project frame - Its been mostly dull when I've been out - but even then a tint has kicked in when riding - and quickly goes clear (quickly as in maybe a couple of minutes)

In my limited understanding I thought prism was something totally different - ie superior vision - but not the tint when in light ?
    (Doesn't matter to me as Im way over budget on my cycling specs !!!!)
  • Many thanks for all the advice.

Carbonator - when do you switch from Photochromic to Prizm and what would I be missing out on with Prizm? What are Prizm like on dark gloomy mornings?

Stueys - have you used Prizm much or are you just a fan of Photochromics?

On the Radarlock v's Radar, I thought you could switch on either it's just that for all that money I'd kind of like one lens that could do it all.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    On the Radarlock v's Radar, I thought you could switch on either it's just that for all that money I'd kind of like one lens that could do it all.

You can switch on both but it's easier with the Radarlocks as a 'catch' means you don't have to flex the lens as much to pop it in and out.
  • Anonymous
    I did not switch, I just have both.

Prizms are real life rose tinted glasses! They make the world look a better place.
    Photochromics just block out sunlight to varying degrees.

Photochromics for when light is low and/or variable.
    Prizm for when its just going to be bright.

Don't even consider Radars unless you are 100% never going to ever change the lens.
    The paint will probably chip off when you snap the lens in and out. Its also a faff.

They need to invent a photochromic prizm lens.
    Until then photochromic are as near to one lens does all for the UK IMO.

Once you have them you will probably feel differently about the expense and may want additional lenses.
    Get Radarlock as insurance for this happening.
  • Have two pairs of Radar frames and a whole variety of lenses including photochromic, clear and various iridiums and have never had an issue with chipping paint or anything else. Quick, easy and very secure. Just wipe the fingerprints off afterwards :)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Anonymous
    Mine are wrecked!

Maybe its a different reason, or I am just heavy handed, or my frames (pearlescent white) are more susceptible to it, but I always assumed it was where the lens was catching the edge of the painted frame as I put it in.

That aside I would never go back to Radar after using Radarlock.
  • Mine are wrecked!

Maybe its a different reason, or I am just heavy handed, or my frames (pearlescent white) are more susceptible to it, but I always assumed it was where the lens was catching the edge of the painted frame as I put it in.

That aside I would never go back to Radar after using Radarlock.

Pearlescent white was discontinued for exactly that reason - the paint flaked. Other colours aren't an issue.
    I change mine at least once a week and I've got two pairs, one painted and one with the colour dyed into the plastic, I had the pearlescent but got rid of them before things got flakey.

The pros are using the photochromic a lot for training and dull weather days and then prizm when they know it's going to be similar light all day. The newer photochromics are way better than the older ones, going properly clear and pretty dark and doing it much faster.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332

Stueys - have you used Prizm much or are you just a fan of Photochromics?

I've got both in separate frames, I've used Photochromic for longer though. In my opinion, the Prizm lens are great in good light where they make the road contours really 'pop'. But the advantage of the photochromics is that they adjust to suit a broader spectrum of light conditions, they don't have the prizm pop in goodlight but they would be a good lens in both poor light and good light, the prizm would be great in good light and poor in poor.

So I rate both but I ride in the photochromic's 80% of the time.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Mate of mine has sent all of his M frame lenses back as they crack if you change them a lot.

As above - much easier to have a couple of frames.

But really do check out yellow lenses for crappy winter days. Tricks you into thinking its a far nicer day - so you stay out longer.