Which is better value for money? Please Help!

James hanrahan
James hanrahan Posts: 6
edited December 2015 in MTB buying advice
I can get a land rover bike for £250 with 21 gears and mechanical disc brakes or for £300 i can get a upgraded verson with 24 gears and hydraulics disc brakes. Everything is the same on both bikes besides from the things i have mentioned.
Thanks in advanced

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Probably neither.

What else have you looked at?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • A specialized in evans cycles but cant not find it online
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    That's probably three of the worst bikes at this price range.
    The Rockrider bikes from Decathlon or Calibre bikes from GO Outdoors are much, much better. They are as good as a Specialized costing twice as much.
    All Land Rover bikes are terrible. They are nothing to do with the car manufacturer, just a cheap, terrible bike with the name used under licence.
  • Just looked and seen what you mean seen a good rockrider for £330 but didnt really want to spend over £300
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The cheaper bikes will cost you more. The drive components in particular will wear extremely quick. The suspension forks have no damping at all so will be like a pogo stick, you will be grateful when they inevitably seize.
  • Ok thank you for the advice im just looking for a cheap bike to get to the gym and college.
  • cooldad
    Then find an old rigid mountain bike for sub £50 on Gumtree or something.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Something like

viewtopic.php?f=40028&t=13041249

And less likely to get pinched.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    A rigid hybrid bike will be better for that sort of use.

If you want a front suspension bike and you really can't go over 300 you could look at carrera from Halfords.. I've been pleased with mine.. Great for the money but I'll echo the above comments.. Over 1000miles I've replaced the chain, the rear derailleur, the cassette, and the bottom bracket and rear hub. Ok granted my usage would have probably worn out the chain and cassette anyway.. Not sure about the rest. Also the forks.. Not right cracking.. They are next on the replacement list.. Add that lot up and I could have bought a £500 bike off the shelf.

If you want a solid budget bike the rockrider or the caliber are hard of not impossible to beat for value.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Halfords have last years Voodoo Marasa in an 18" size for just £200, it was good value at £300, at £200 is amazing value, ideal for your usage and decent enough components.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thank you for the help was looking at a saracen hydro that looked alright
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I assume you mean a Tufftrax? It has a hydro sub model.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.