Carbon clinchers- dodgy or sound?

mcstumpy
mcstumpy Posts: 298
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I can't even begin to describe what a waster of money those are.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    Just ask yourself how its possible to produce a set of carbon wheels at that weight for that price and then whether you'd be confident hitting any kind of bump at speed with them. They are built to a price not a spec.

Buy cheap - buy twice!
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I've got a similar set (from FarSport, with Novatec hubs and Sapim spokes) and after I had them tensioned up properly they have been riding great. Word of warning - not for riding on long descents.

...but the real question is why take a punt on these when you can get a very good set of alloy wheels for the same price?
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    If you want deep wheels, these are.
    So buy them.
    Normal price for a Chinese carbon wheelset.
    Be prepared for some tuning, but if you can do that, not much against it.
    Some better known sources are available, but if you're lucky these are as good as.
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    I had an interesting chat with an cycling industry guy recently who uses Chinese wheels and reckons the qualitys equal to most stuff you can buy here.
    check this guy out,some good information ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59MsPG3lzkU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbXcjpxAS08
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    I had an interesting chat with an cycling industry guy recently who uses Chinese wheels and reckons the qualitys equal to most stuff you can buy here.
    check this guy out,some good information ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59MsPG3lzkU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbXcjpxAS08

I'm sure there are likely to be wheels of decent quality but the problem with buying this kind of stuff from China is the lack of quality control, dealer network, sales back up etc. I don't buy the fact a set of wheels at £250 can be anywhere near as good as a similar looking set made by a well known and trusted brand, even allowing for marketing costs, mark up etc

You only need to look at the Chinese lights(and yes I have a £20 Cree which does everything very well), but dare I leave it on charge overnight...not a chance.

As someone has already said, for that money you can get a seriously good set of alu wheels
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    They will be total carp. You may get lucky, you very likely won't. Avoid. £250 will get you a great set of handbuilts that will out perform those on every level, save maybe looks, if deep section is your thing.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    edited December 2015
    Avoid any Ebay sellers and pay more and go with reputable sellers like Farsports or Yoeleo. They have more feedback and you will have a better idea of what your actually getting.

I took a chance on some 38mm's from a seller on Ebay called ''CNcarbon''. I'd put money on they are the same company as ''cycling-cycling'' above.

I paid around £250 and £17 import duty iirc. At first i thought they were amazeballz. Superlight around 1380 grams. Wide. Reasonably true out of the box. Braking felt excellent. No pulsing. Rode stiff and felt pretty nice to ride. All was good until after 6 months or so, the basalt brake surface started to chip and disintegrate at various points along the rim. Which made the brake track very abrasive and caused the brake pads to rapidly wear down. After a 3 hour ride the pads were nearly toast.

The quality of the rim was dreadful and really low quality on closer inspection. The edges of the bead hooks looked very tatty from the start. And got worst as time went on. They just looked like a slap together jobbie. Had loads of excess resin inside the rim that looked to cover up some of the manufacturing faults. No care taken whatsoever. I had no choice but to retire them. After dismantling the wheels i found some of the spokes to be the wrong lengths.

Next i did a strength test on the bead hooks with a small spanner :) to see how strong they were and it broke and snapped off surprisingly easy. Not a very scientific test but it's totally made me re-think carbon wheels even from a professional company. Any alloy rim has way stronger bead hooks. And now im not suprised these carbon wheels fail the way they do.

Will update with pictures of the crappy rims.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I wouldn't bother. Would be a gamble.
    You get what you pay for at the end of the day.
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 288
    Has anyone any experience with the borg 50mm carbon clinchers from cycle clinic thinking of them or a set or reynolds strike for a bit more
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Strike are good.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg