Which RIMS - Mavic Open Pro or DT Swiss RR440

designman
designman Posts: 405
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
Just in the process of building a pair of wheels to use during winter training and also to be used during summer, the hubs which I have are Dura Ace 9000 28hole, but unsure which rims would be a better build, I would like to build the wheels up with either "Mavic Open Pro Rims" or DT Swiss RR440 Rims" - Which rims would be the best for strength and wear, remembering I shall be using these wheels during winter months, so road salt and other aspects of winter will get onto these rims.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I have Open Pros and they are very good rims...but they just seem a tad dated when compared to some of the other options out there now like H+ Son Archetypes. Archetypes offer a wider profile, come in 28H, have a wear indicator (useful for winter riding rims), are available in silver or black and can be had for less than £50 if you shop around.

Chatting around with a few riders they appear to be the new benchmark and will be on my shortlist when the OPs need replacing.
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Ambrosio excellight are another great alternative. They seem to wear slower than Dt or Open pro. I've got 1 excellight front wheel with 25,000 miles on it, and it's still got plenty of life left.
    In my experience the Ambrosio's can handle a higher tension than open pro without stress cracking the drive side eyelets.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Open Pro's were once a kind of standard, but today they're just a fossile from the past.
    Quality isn't up to date anymore too. Mavic only offers them because a lot of people don't know there is better and cheaper.
    A couple of better and cheaper options:
    H + Son Archetype
    Kinlin XC279
    DT Swiss R460
    I even would prefer the dirt cheap Alexrims AT490 a better option then Open Pro's ....
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Actually the Kinlin XC279 is outdated as well.

Kinlin are making the best rims at the moment.
    XR22t 22mm deep 24mm wide 450g and now available in offset drilling
    XR31t 31mm deep 24mm wide 490g and available in offset drilling

The other rims of note are
    DT Swiss RR440 20mm deep 21mm wide and 450g available in offset drilling
    H plus Son archetype 25mm deep 23mm wide - the one thing going for it is its very thick spoke nipple bed suitable for very heavy riders.
    HED Belgium+ 25mm wide 25mm deep expensive though but very well made
    Pacenti SL23 v2- very light but for heavier riders possibly too light as flex might be an issue.
    DT Swis R460 not a bad option 23mm wide 23mm deep 480g but its only problem is the XR22t exists in off set drilling for the same money.

Open Pro and amboriso are still making narrow rims which is a shame.

really Kinlin have got the best rim offering at the moment and add offset drilling to it an you have a winner.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    DT Swiss R460 rims are just over £25.33p each here (euro to pounds conversion) available in 24h and 28h.

http://www.bike24.com/p2123285.html
  • keezx

CUT

really Kinlin have got the best rim offering at the moment and add offset drilling to it an you have a winner.

What is supposed to be offset drilling in this context, asymmetric or 2:1 ?
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    The Archetype seems to wear very quickly, especially the one I bought more recently. I have just built some SL23s and the braking is terrible. Maybe they take a long time to wear in.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    H Son Plus are the new standard for sure. Bearing in most people that buy handbuilt want to use clincher tyres they have the big advantage that they are easy to fit clincher tyres to, I'd hazard a guess that most of the other newer rims that are tubeless compat are somewhere between annoyingly difficult and tyre lever snappingly impossible to fit clinchers to.
  • keezx
    H Son Plus are the new standard for sure. Bearing in most people that buy handbuilt want to use clincher tyres they have the big advantage that they are easy to fit clincher tyres to, I'd hazard a guess that most of the other newer rims that are tubeless compat are somewhere between annoyingly difficult and tyre lever snappingly impossible to fit clinchers to.

Certainly a point to consider.
    I have tubeless ready DT R460's and Alexrims AT490, both easy with tyres, don't even need levers for taking off the tyre.
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396

The other rims of note are
    DT Swiss RR440 20mm deep 21mm wide and 450g available in offset drilling
    H plus Son archetype 25mm deep 23mm wide - the one thing going for it is its very thick spoke nipple bed suitable for very heavy riders.
    HED Belgium+ 25mm wide 25mm deep expensive though but very well made
    Pacenti SL23 v2- very light but for heavier riders possibly too light as flex might be an issue.
    DT Swis R460 not a bad option 23mm wide 23mm deep 480g but its only problem is the XR22t exists in off set drilling for the same money.

Open Pro and amboriso are still making narrow rims which is a shame.

I have Excellight rims and can't fault them however would 25mm tyres have any improvements with these narrow rims ? thanks.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I ride Exellights with 25s and they are pretty good, mind you I ride them with Vittoria Open Corsa SC, which are wonderful tyres. Lovely climbing wheels IMO (mine are built with some lovely old Campag Record hubs and DT Swiss Competition spokes).
  • cycleclinic
    As discussed many time before narrow shallow rims work O.K they stay round and straight in a wheel but the ride qualilty when moving to wider rim it is just better as your tyres get wider and the different shape means a 25mm tyre on narrow rim and the same on wider one is simply another incremental improvement.

If you have to re-rim then go wide. Also on archetype wearing out fast maybe that has to with the increased rainfall over the last couple of years. Machined sidewall rims all wear at a similar rate if ridden in the same conditions and the conditions over the last couple of years have been pretty poor.

offset is aysmmetric not 2:1 that is something completely different and 2:1 lacing does not require a special rim it requires a special hub.
  • cycleclinic
    VAR RP42500 tyres levers make easy work of tight tyres. also anyone remember the Mavic MA40. some tyres were a right pig to get onto these things. everyone thinks tight tyre rim combo's are something new. It is as old as rims and tyres in fact.
  • Thanks for the help guys, the H+ Son Archetype looks like a nice rim to build with, but when these wheels are built, they will be only used during wet, horrible weather as the bike their going on will have mudguards fitted for all season, so I'm a little concerned about the braking surface wearing away quickly, and is the braking surface any good for wet weather.

Are the DT Swiss R460 and RR440 Rims tubeless ready? Might be something to consider going tubeless.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,790
    The Archetypes are a good sturdy rim and I'm not sure there is any reason to be concerned about the braking surface wearing away any quicker than on any other, similar rims. The black coating on the brake track does wear away after a few wet rides but that's only superficial and once it's gone they just look like any other rims with a silver brake track.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 632
    The Archetypes are a good sturdy rim and I'm not sure there is any reason to be concerned about the braking surface wearing away any quicker than on any other, similar rims. ...

I built some wheels with Archetype grey rims early this year.
    I measured the rim depth at the time as about 2mm when new.
    Now less than 4000 miles later the wear indicator has vanished on the rear wheel.
    I re-measured the rim depth and its about 1.2mm.

I do ride all year but avoid rain if I can.

The rim has lasted less than the tyre !!!! :cry:

So its all front wheel braking from now
  • keezx
    [quote="designman

Are the DT Swiss R460 and RR440 Rims tubeless ready? Might be something to consider going tubeless.[/quote]

R460 is TL., 440 not.
  • cycleclinic
    This year has been wet and there has been crap all over the road. that wears rims. Also brake pad choice affect wear rate alot. If you want rims to last use a soft pad like Kool stop salmon. Shimano pads in contrast are quite abrasive and clarks well you might as well use sand paper as a brake pad.

Dont be concerned about the archetype. Those that get short life are using the wrong pads.

I have a set of DT Swiss RR415's that lasted 3000 miles before the front rim is worn through maybe less than that. It was a wet whether bike mostly. If you want a long last rim wait till feb and the Ryde will have there Pulse Sprint out with CCS (tunsgten carbide) coating and those that have used them have found brake track life to be excessive.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 632
    This year has been wet and there has been crap all over the road. that wears rims. Also brake pad choice affect wear rate alot. If you want rims to last use a soft pad like Kool stop salmon. Shimano pads in contrast are quite abrasive and clarks well you might as well use sand paper as a brake pad.
    This could be true in my case.
    The wheels spent most of the year on my summer bike that has Swissstop pads on the front and Koolstop Salmon on the rear.
    A few weeks ago I moved them to the winter bike and also bought some long drop Ultegra brakes which, of course, have Shimano pads. I wonder if that was the cause of the rim wear?
  • keezx
    More important than the pads alone is cleaning rim and pads after the wet rides.
  • cycleclinic
    Yep that what I implied about it being filthy all year.