Waterproof jacket recommendations?

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,485
edited December 2015 in MTB buying advice
Don't want to spend more than £100 on a jacket (ideally substantially less), but I'm aware that where waterproofing is concerned you often get what you pay for.

Any recommendations for a MTB waterproof jacket? Would consider either very lightweight (so can be in a pack and pulled out when required) or a waterproof option that could be worn as the top layer in cool autumn through to chilly spring time.

Tempted by Endura MTR Emergency shell as reviewed by bikeradar, but always prefer to get real world reviews and recommendations!

Thanks!
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• You're going to struggle to find a "wear all the time" waterproof that is breathable enough to do just that in your budget. So you need to then start being realistic about how often you are going to need a waterproof jacket. If it's an emergency "oh, bollocks, it's started raining" measure then yes, the Endura shell is as good as any. If it's the jacket then start thinking about upping your budget and also being prepared not to cry too much when you snag it/crash damage it etc. I was so unimpressed with the cycling versions I ended up with a North Face jacket - very waterproof, very breathable, reasonably snag resistant, not in budget.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    For proper rain I have a Gore Path jacket which is MTB cut but I use for road cycling. Impressively breathable Goretex Paclite (only ever see condensation at the taped seams)

I understand there's a new version of Paclite out so expect to see claims of even better breathability with new models; doubt you'll get that for sub £100 though...

However, most of the time I wear my Phantom softshell which is warmer and copes with drizzle / light rain.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    There are second hand gore jackets (and similar) on ebay. Just be careful about condition and that it is a recent jacket by doing a little research. I got an ALP-X jacket for £80 second hand in very good condition.

Breathable jackets work well except in prolonged heavy rain where they stop being breathable
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've never yet had a breathable jacket that breathes enough for me (we are all different), so I have a cheapish D2B breathable and only wear it if its really chucking it down, but then can't push to hard or end up a sweaty mess. A soft shell works quite well, yo do get damp, but not wet, inside it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Thanks all, comments duly noted about budget etc.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)