Frame crack or cosmetic

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    If you're the original owner then I'd talk to the retailer that supplied the bike/frame. They should be able to answer any warranty queries.

If you bought it 2nd hand then I'm not sure if you would be entitled to any rights under the warranty (whatever they may be). If that's the case it might be worth calling Epic Cycles

http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/look.htm

They are main dealers for Look and are well regarded so they should be able to at least advise what your options are.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    I'm no expert but that looks like impact damage to me.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I agree, that looks more than cosmetic.
    How often do you check over your bike?
    I would not be riding that in the current condition.
  • Looks like someone stood or knelt on the stay.
    Needs repairing before you ride it again but should be repairable.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Might be repairable - looks like damage due to impact / crushing, have you taken the bike on a plane?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    I agree, this doesn't look like failure caused my manufacturing issues, which is what warranty claims are about.
  • Haven't been in any crash. Due to winter have been using bike on trainer but don't see how that could have caused any issues.

I have sent details to epic cycles and Fisher leisure indoors. Lets see what they say.
  • Can someone recommend a very good carbon reputable repair shop in London? I'm feeling so sad atm :cry:
  • Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    Haven't been in any crash. Due to winter have been using bike on trainer but don't see how that could have caused any issues.

I have sent details to epic cycles and Fisher leisure indoors. Lets see what they say.

A trainer is exactly the sort of thing that CAN do this.

Usually, when you rock the bike side to side, it simply tilts. On the trainer, it doesn't tilt and instead all the load goes into flexing the frame.

It's a big worry when I use mine (especially getting out of the saddle).
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • redvision
    digikam wrote:

Epic are local to me and a great shop. I am sure they will offer some helpful advice.

Hope you get it sorted.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,165
    Can someone recommend a very good carbon reputable repair shop in London? I'm feeling so sad atm :cry:

check the warranty first, but some do exclude use on turbo

for assessment/repairs try http://londoncarbonrepairs.co.uk/contact/
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Haven't been in any crash. Due to winter have been using bike on trainer but don't see how that could have caused any issues.

i have used my look 585 for more the last 6 years on a turbo, over winter, with no probs what so ever.

the LOOK frame/forks warranty is 5 years to orginal buyer but you must have registered the frame on their website.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Haven't been in any crash. Due to winter have been using bike on trainer but don't see how that could have caused any issues.

i have used my look 585 for more the last 6 years on a turbo, over winter, with no probs what so ever.
    My Grandad smoked 20-a-day for 50 years and never got lung cancer
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032

My Grandad smoked 20-a-day for 50 years and never got lung cancer

Thats amazing! my Grandad, lived to 92, smoked roll ups from the age 11 and at 86 knocked out a burglar who dared tried to rob him, maybe we should start a "my grandad used to......" thread? :shock:

but your right, my LBS's are all littered with broken carbon frames used in turbo trainers :lol: or is it about one a year and then you find out the week before said frame was crashed/dropped etc mmmmmmmmmm?

or are you saying most carbon bikes used in a turbo break? or is a very rare occurance?

the LOOK frame/forks warranty is 5 years to orginal buyer but you must have registered the frame on their website.

Just got reply back from Fisher Outdoor and they're asking me to send the frame back to them via my dealer with receipt of original purchase. Argh! I purchased the frame used (second owner) so looks like warranty wont cover me.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    household insurance job?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.

I've been using my bike on the new Taxc Neo Smart. I've got a weird feeling it might have been that.
  • Why is that then?

can you contact seller and see if he ll put the claim in for you? unless you know something your not telling ? :)
  • Why is that then?

can you contact seller and see if he ll put the claim in for you? unless you know something your not telling ? :)

Bike starts to tilt side to side when pushing a bit too hard on trainer. I think that caused unwarranted stress on the chainstay.

Have got the guys from carbon bike repair (Surrey) sorting it out. Total cost will come to around 300 as I'm getting the decals and paint fixed as well.
  • digikam
    digikam Posts: 25
    Just got my bike back after getting it repaired by carbonbikerepair.co.uk

Looking good as new! Really happy with the whole process. Really friendly guys!

BEFORE

IMAG0195.jpg

AFTER

IMAG0251.jpg
  • redvision
    Repair looks excellent!
    Glad you've got it sorted.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Looks really good, I've bookmarked the repairer too, if you don't mind sharing what was the cost?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Flasher wrote:
    Looks really good, I've bookmarked the repairer too, if you don't mind sharing what was the cost?

A couple of posts ago he said around £300 incl paint / decals. Looks a pretty tidy repair to me.

If ever I become sufficiently weather-shy to neccessitate a turbo trainer I'll be looking for an old steel frame to stick on it!