Nokon cables.

bjl
bjl Posts: 353
edited December 2015 in Workshop
Got an Argon 18 Gallium Pro and the cable run for the gears is not great , was thinking of fitting some Nokon or similar that come in small sections and look like they would be more flexible than a standard compression less outer cable. Is anyone using them and when you fitted them did you use the Nokon under the bar tape or standard compression less outer ?

Comments

• 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Nokon kits come with a separate compression-less section for the run under the bar tape.

You'll likely get more responses if you correct the thread title. Unless you're also interested in remote camera releases...
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,166
    yes, do go to your first post and use the 'edit' button (at top right of the post) to fix the title, like i did

i've used nokon for a few years, as above, they come with flexible sections for the initial run, they're visible in this picture

Nokon-Full-Length-Cable-Housing-Silver.jpg

i use them with powercordz, whether you're using those or steel cables, i find the powercordz liner is better than the nokon one, which tends to kink and is a bit tighter (unless they changed it)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • bjl
    Thanks for pointing the spelling out ! So Sungod , I take it you are impressed with them as you have used them for years, do you use gear and cable sets as my brake cable run seems fine ?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,166
    yep, gears and brakes (both with powercordz), lighter!

when first fitted, or if you change cables, it takes a couple of rides for everything to snug in, so be prepared to tweak shifting while this happens, helps to install with all adjusters at minimum tension position

i posted my powercordz/nokon install technique here... http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=92700&start=15#p812939 ...pics have vanished but words have a few tips

one thing to watch for if you have any internal routing is in these areas use some of the outer plastic sleeve that nokon supply, otherwise you'll get rattling on all but the smoothest roads
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Been running them for 10+ years on 2 bikes - fit and forget
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • bjl
    Ok, that's given me enough confidence to give them a try, thanks for your input .
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The only downside to nokon cables are they cant do tight bends very well but these are best avoided anyway.

I use ashima kevlar casings. these are ligher than standard casing and as there is no steel are also fit an forget. I use powercordz cables because they are light and are fit and forget. I use pwercordz on the brakes as well with no issue. I need to get them on all my bikes.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.