sram red brakes

thebadgerboy1982
thebadgerboy1982 Posts: 266
edited December 2015 in Workshop
Hi all,

My 2014 sram red brakes are becoming very sticky. Ive changed the cables and outers so i think its the brake calliper itself. Ive washed it etc but it still doesn't feel right. I had the previous version of the sram red callipers and after a few bad winters they suffered the same problem albeit much worse.

Any top tips to solve the problem? Im trying not to purchase some ee brakes so please help!!

Comments

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Take them apart,clean the bits,lube where they move and put back together. Job done.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,166
    had mine over 6 years, ridden year round, never lubed (sram don't say to use lube, just to wash them), but they get hosed down after any wet/dirty ride especially if the roads have been salted

if dirt has built up and got into the bearings, or if road salt hasn't been flushed out, maybe that's why, in which case, as above, strip/clean

also, try the tension adjustment, that might improve things
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    They're knackered mate, may as well give them away to me.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Get a can of penetrating fluid - a fiver from B&Q.

Stick some rags between wheel and the brake (or even take the wheels off if you have a work stand.

Set brake to maximum movement (as if you were taking the wheel off)

Spray liberally while opening and closing the brake to flush all cack out and leave light oil in there.

Retire to warm lounge with wine and salami.

Jobs a fish.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.