Rear mech set up

kev2016
kev2016 Posts: 7
edited December 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi just need some help please with my gears the rear mech adjustment it's a new bike and every time I put pressure on the pedal the rear gears seam to jump and the rear mech in a SRAM - 4x there is no fine adjustment screw on the mech but there is on the leaver I have tried that but does not seam to of helped. Like I say it's a new bike done about 20 miles or so any help or advice would be great thanks

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Look on Parktools for instructions, did mine now perfect :D
  • Just a thought just cleaned my bike and noticed there is a stiff link in the chain could this possibly cause my gears to be jumping ?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes, waggle it sideways a bit to loosen it up.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There are two possible issues, skipping where the chain stays on the same sprocket and jumps over teeth, a stiff link can certainly cause that as having come round the upper jockey wheel its bent so as to lift the chain off the sprocket, the other issue is ghost shifting where it shifts into a higher or lower gear and back, a stiff link won't normally cause that.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.