Eccentric BB advice

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited December 2015 in Workshop
Hi all. I've just picked up a bike with one of these BBs fitted:
image_zpstzrqefft.jpeg

Could anyone suggest what torque setting the two pinch bolts at the bottom of the bb shell should be tightened to? Evans supplied the bike (a Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed) so I've emailed them the question but not heard anything back yet. Also, when the pinch bolts are loosened, the eccentric bb "carrier" can move freely side to side. This seems to make getting a perfect chain line something of a guessing game ( or at least only achievable by eye, and perhaps listening to the drivetrain) - am I missing something, or is this the best way to do it?

many thanks
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• baznav73
    baznav73 Posts: 111
    The insert are normally the same width as the bb shell so you just set it central, (flush with each side) 8nm should be ample for the bolts.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    The insert are normally the same width as the bb shell so you just set it central, (flush with each side) 8nm should be ample for the bolts.

Thanks for that. The insert is about 5-8mm shorter width than the shell, so if centred there's approx 2.5-4mm between the insert and outside of the BB shell. Looking on YouTube I found a video showing a Scott Sub with an eccentric BB. However, in that video the insert seemed stiff even after the pinch bolts were loosened (the guy used a soft tap from a rubber mallet to move it sideways) - mine moves VERY easily in the shell, although seems tight enough when the pinch bolts are cinched up. There is a lot of grease in there mind :?
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...