Kids Carrera Blast 24 Brake Upgrade Questions/Advice

Mizter
Mizter Posts: 21
Well my sons carrera blast 24 will do him for at least another year and I want to upgrade the brakes to hydraulic as the standard brakes are terrible and the pads are needing replaced soon.

I have been looking to buy a second hand set of brakes and calipers and had my eye on these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291634380847?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

From what I measured the hoses seem a but longer than the current brake lines on his bike, I measured around 60-63cm front and 100-110 rear for his blast 24, and those hoses are 75cm and 140cm.

My questions are:

- Will the calipers fit the bike?
- Will the longer hoses be a problem? (as they appear to be off an adult bike)
- Will they work with the stock brake discs?

Need some advice here so I dont go and buy the wrong thing or buy something that ends up costing me more money. Just want him to have a decent set of brakes as the stock cable disc brakes are pretty poor.

Last year I upgraded the grip shifts to xram shifters and also got him some nice lock on grips, I would upgrade the fork but seems a bit expensive. Just need to know what brakes hydraulic brakes to get and if the standard rotors will work or if thats something else I would need to buy.

Comments

• Mizter
    Mizter Posts: 21
    Not sure on suitability of the deore brakes, should be ok with correct mounting adapters. Hoses can be shortened so that shouldn't be an issue. Have a troll around previous posts as the blast has been modified heavily by others on here. Cheaper option is to just put decent pads on as manufacturers will skimp on these when building a bike to a price.

The cable/pull motion has been terrible since day one so want to move him to hydraulics
  • brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    Not sure on suitability of the deore brakes, should be ok with correct mounting adapters. Hoses can be shortened so that shouldn't be an issue. Have a troll around previous posts as the blast has been modified heavily by others on here. Cheaper option is to just put decent pads on as manufacturers will skimp on these when building a bike to a price.

The cable/pull motion has been terrible since day one so want to move him to hydraulics

You can get a lessor shimano brake brand new for 40 quid, which will be significantly better than what you have.

Re the length, You can get shorter lengths if buying new, how much shorter Im not sure, so you may be left with cutting and probably re bleeding or putting a neat loop in the hose, Which may be a snagging risk, dependent on where/how you do it
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    My son got my handme down SLX brakes, deore M615 would be just as good. they will fit on your current adaptors. The standard brakes were removed pretty much straight away from Lewis's old blast they where that awful