Canyon sizing help..

TeeJay77
TeeJay77 Posts: 5
edited December 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi, first post..hope you can help.

I’m looking to buy my first road bike, having ridden trails for many years and am unsure on sizing. The problem is that I’m currently living on Borneo and the options for trying out bikes are very few and far between.

There is a specialized shop (relatively) nearby which I’ve been to but I am so far away from the average Asian size (im 193cm / 6ft4), that they only had one bike, a 2013 Allez Comp in 56cm, for me to have a try on. I also managed to find another Brit who has a Cannondale Synapse in 58cm to try. Both bikes seemed to fit comfortably in the few minutes I had on them.

Considering the lack of options here, and the high price of Specialized imports, I’m seriously considering the Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 or the Ultimate CF SL 9.0. I’ll be doing mainly 50km+ rides and looking for comfort as I have had back problems in the past (although its ok now).

The Canyon bike sizing calculator isn’t working for me but ive plugged my measurements into the Competitive sizing app with results:

Your Measurements
Inseam: 91
Trunk: 69
Forearm: 34
Arm: 69
Thigh: 66
Lower Leg: 58
Sternal Notch: 159
Total Body Height:193

The Competitive Fit (cm)
Seat Tube Range c–c:58.9 - 59.4 cm
Seat Tube Range c–t:60.8 - 61.3 cm
Top Tube Length:55.1 - 55.5 cm
Stem Length:11.8 - 12.4 cm
BB–Saddle Position:78.1 - 80.1 cm
Saddle Handlebar:55.8 - 56.4 cm
Saddle Setback:8.3 - 8.7 cm

From this, im thinking that either the L or XL would be best fit for me?
Thanks.

Comments

• Hi mate,

I wasn't sure if you've tried the Canyon PPS sizing system and it wasn't correct or not, but when I plugged your sizes into the websites PPS, on the Canyon Ultimate SL 9.0, it recommended an XL sizing. I kinda assumed your weight (90Kgs) based on your height, no offence if its wrong!

Cheers

Steve
  • Thanks, Steve. For some reason I cannot get the PPS sizer to work at all.....I suspected the XL would be the better fit.......and I'm actually 83kg at the moment (no offence taken!).
    Anyone else a similar size to me with experience on the XL size?
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I think the pps tool has been removed.

Anyway, here are the instructions:
    https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/service/supportcenter/article.html?supportcenter_articles_id=156
    Once you have your measurements email canyon and they will determine a suitable size for you.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    It really doesn't matter, after waiting for 6 months for it to turn up with Canyon randomly delaying and cancelling your order, you'll end up buying something else. That bike is one you need to have sized correctly.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • wiwaxy
    wiwaxy Posts: 16
    Hi, I am 5''10 with a 31cm inseam. The Canyon sizing tool recommended a Small which was strange as I ride a 56cm Cannondale Synapse. Rather than order based on the tool recommendation, I rang Canyon and ended up ordering a Medium (55cm) frame. I've been riding in for the last twelve months now and it is definitely the right size for me.
  • What size did u go for in the end, I'm 6ft 4 and 90 inseam don't kow weather to go large or xl,canyon recommend xl but I'm on a large giant at the moment. Cheers
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    XL, no doubt about it.
  • vpnikolov
    vpnikolov Posts: 568
    wiwaxy wrote:
    Hi, I am 5''10 with a 31cm inseam. The Canyon sizing tool recommended a Small which was strange as I ride a 56cm Cannondale Synapse. Rather than order based on the tool recommendation, I rang Canyon and ended up ordering a Medium (55cm) frame. I've been riding in for the last twelve months now and it is definitely the right size for me.
    31 cm inseam. Are you absolutely sure this is correct? :shock:
  • yertez
    yertez Posts: 80
    I'm about 5"9.5 and just under 31" inside leg, but with shorter than average arms.

Canyon Ultimate CF 9.0SL Small fits me fine (and was recommended after a bike fitting).
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    183cm and rode a medium Aeroad.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • Even when I'm on a large giant defy at the minute, does anyone know a similar bike in geometry I could try first. Thanks
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Can't really see how you're comfortable on a L Giant, even with a 140mm stem I'd have thought it'd be too short.
  • Hi
    First post
    Looking at a Canyon Ultimate cf slx but concerned about sizing, I am 183 tall with 84 cm inside leg, quite long limbs, Canyon sizing guide says M but concerned it may be too small. I ride a 58cm Cannondale CAAD 9 which isn't too similar in geometry. The Canyon appears to be less aggressive. Any advice regarding sizing or the bike itself welcome.
    Regards
    Robert
  • jheg
    jheg Posts: 15
    I have some good recent experience with this. I've ridden both a medium and small canyon ultimate cf slx. I'm 5 11, 63kg, recently crashed my 2015 ultimate cf slx medium and thought it would be a good time to try a small the idea being more manouvrebility. I had a retul bike fit and did manage to get the 'right' set up however the seat post was exceeding the limits by 1.5cm so I'm swapping for a medium which arrives tomorrow. Long story short I was happy with a small even at 5 11 but the variables didn't stretch.

I've ordered a shorter stem for the medium so hoping I can replicate the small but within the limits of the bike. If you are worried that you are too stretched they will send you the cockpit of your choice for free (you just need to send the old one back). Also the newer models have the seatpost clamp lower now (inside the tube) which makes for a much more comfortable ride, adds flex by might limit how high you get to extend the seat post.

Hope it helps in general
  • Good day,

I am of the same height as you at 5 11 / 72 kg with 84cm inseam.
    I have gotten the size M as well.
    Whats your inseam and your saddle height ( top of saddle to center of bb ) if you dont mind sharing.

Thank you !
    jheg wrote:
    I have some good recent experience with this. I've ridden both a medium and small canyon ultimate cf slx. I'm 5 11, 63kg, recently crashed my 2015 ultimate cf slx medium and thought it would be a good time to try a small the idea being more manouvrebility. I had a retul bike fit and did manage to get the 'right' set up however the seat post was exceeding the limits by 1.5cm so I'm swapping for a medium which arrives tomorrow. Long story short I was happy with a small even at 5 11 but the variables didn't stretch.

I've ordered a shorter stem for the medium so hoping I can replicate the small but within the limits of the bike. If you are worried that you are too stretched they will send you the cockpit of your choice for free (you just need to send the old one back). Also the newer models have the seatpost clamp lower now (inside the tube) which makes for a much more comfortable ride, adds flex by might limit how high you get to extend the seat post.

Hope it helps in general
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    5 8 here and 31 inside leg. My small Endurace SLX fits perfectly. Seatpost around the mid point.