Replacment Winter bibs

donkey600
donkey600 Posts: 74
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

im currently running DHB Vaeon Zero bib tights, as my winter riding tights....the bibs are good, but soon as the temps goes to 6ish degrees I find them a tad cold.for commuting to work ive started wearing waterproof shorts to keep me a tad warmer....

Well, as Santa is on his way, ive asked for some warmer winter bibs. what are peoples thoughts on some good winter bibs budget upto £130....im looking at these so far.

Sportful R&D bib tights
Pearl Izumi Elite Amfib Bib Tight
Santini Triton Windstopper bib tights

I like to ride all winter, probably around a 100mile a week, last year I tried two bibs, knee warmers etc etc, and really struggled to keep chill out.....

Assistance appreciated.....

Comments

• Castelli cafe has some good deals on their exclusive kits at the moment. Bib tights are 40 quid and most sizes available. You do get what you pay for. I got some DHB bibs for 30 quid a couple of weeks ago and.they will only be used for hacking around on the CX pre race or for CX rides in the woods when it's warmer and I don't care if they get pulled or rips from twigs.etc
  • ive got some Castelli sorpasso bib tights, I use the normal type for above 6 degrees and the windproof version for under that temp.
    Both are excellent with a great pad.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Stick with DHB. Go for these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-deep-winter-bib-tight/
    (Be quick and order before the discount codes expire)
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    ive got some Castelli sorpasso bib tights, I use the normal type for above 6 degrees and the windproof version for under that temp.
    Both are excellent with a great pad.

Sorpasso's were a real surprise for me - much better than I anticipated with a very comfortable pad - much better than the dhb's pad I have (think they are pro version). Agree they aren't going to keep you warm lower than 6 or 7 Celsius, at which point I would revert to Assos. What temp range do the wind proof version deal with?

Peter
  • I've worn mine down to -2 and felt comfortable but I was also wearing a quality merino base layer, mortirolo jacket and north wave winter boots. Still I'm very impressed with them Peter. :D
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've had Sorpassos for 5 years (2 pairs) and they're great down to about 5 degrees. I've also got some Castelli Windproof tights - the problem being they can get clammy when working hard. I've just got some Sportful Total Comfort bib-tights which are awesome - they're not windproof, but have a double-layer of thermal fabric in all the all the right places. Wore them for 7 hours at 5 degrees the other weekend - like the Sorpassos, you don't notice good tights on a long ride. I'm doing a bike race in the arctic in February and they'll be my base layer - I need something warm, that breathes and doesn't trap perspiration.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • northpole
    Thanks for the feedback Rover & Monty.

Peter
  • Yes cheers for all the feedback, think I mayt go for the castelli sor windproof tights....
  • Just a quick update, I got some Castelli Sorpasso Wind. Fit was snug, went out this morning to try out new bibs,and did around 30 miles, 4 degrees and very light rain....

My backside is still bloody freezing, ive also found there is a chaffing hole appeared on backside area where the cloth joins the pad, so not really impressed...going to send back for a refund...

Now back to the drawing board, might try the Castelli Polare Due Windproof....how is everybody else getting on...

Stu
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I think you might need to bite the bullet and get the Assos Mille tights. They'll last a long time so the price is not so bad in the long run.
  • northpole
    Very surprised that you have a problem of wear in the Sorpasso's - mine have been very hard wearing. I suspect you have been a bit unlucky with the pair you received.

I also have heavier duty Assos bib longs but when the temperature is below 5 and there is drizzle/ light rain, I rely on the likes of rapha winter embrocation very lightly applied to knees, thighs and butt cheeks to help fight off cold. I am a bit of a softie though and try not to go out any distance in such conditions!

Peter
  • WOW that cream looks great.......

Regarding the Assos Mille tights, is this the S5 or S7....
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I would go for the S7 version myself as I find the S7 pads are more comfortable and the S7 tights have a water resistant treatment.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Hi all,

im currently running DHB Vaeon Zero bib tights, as my winter riding tights....the bibs are good, but soon as the temps goes to 6ish degrees I find them a tad cold.for commuting to work ive started wearing waterproof shorts to keep me a tad warmer....

Well, as Santa is on his way, ive asked for some warmer winter bibs. what are peoples thoughts on some good winter bibs budget upto £130....im looking at these so far.

Sportful R&D bib tights
    Pearl Izumi Elite Amfib Bib Tight
    Santini Triton Windstopper bib tights

I like to ride all winter, probably around a 100mile a week, last year I tried two bibs, knee warmers etc etc, and really struggled to keep chill out.....

Assistance appreciated.....

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-sanremo-2-thermosuit/
    tights and gabba top v good price
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I can recommend the Sportful R&D bib longs, as well as the Castelli Thermosuit (Sorpasso bottoms). Both have been good down to zero (for me). I also rate the Mavic Echappee bib longs which have a double layer construction over the thigh for added wind protection. They come out when properly cold. Good pad too, though don't find it as comfy as the Progetto2 pad in the Thermosuit, or the Bodyfit Pro in the R&Ds.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Rapha pro team thermal are on sale now I think with coral lettering
  • Evans are doing the thermo suit for the same price but have them in large if that helps. I'm half tempted to buy it as it's a bargain for winter bibs and a gabba, but don't think I really need it!

And as above, Rapha are doing the pro team winter tights for £150 in coral - didn't really want that colour but it's a good price so I ordered a pair when they added them to the sale, not sure how they are stock wise...