Choosing a new frameset. Too many options.

northcliff66
northcliff66 Posts: 187
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
I am in the market for N+1.

I have a carbon racy road bike, a carbon gravel bike, an aluminium mountain bike (seldom sees daylight) and a carbon endurance/sportive bike.

My gut is telling me the next one should be titanium, or titanium/carbon combination. Bad idea? Parlee? Seven? Legend?

Ideally it should be suitable for the road. Quick, but not a speed machine. Gorgeous, but not so extreme I might hate it by summer, and allow me to use my spare summer wheels which are Enve 4.5. Groupset may be Sram Etap, but I dont like the current cassette limitation so may have to think more on that.

Geometry more Roubaix than Tarmac (apologies for the metaphor) as my spine is not flexible as it was, and I will ride it about 12 hours a week.

Assuming I will build it up myself, that excludes complete bikes. So what would be on your short list?

No budget restriction ATM, that may come later when the proposal is submitted to management.

Comments

• Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    I am in the market for N+1.

I have a carbon racy road bike, a carbon gravel bike, an aluminium mountain bike (seldom sees daylight) and a carbon endurance/sportive bike.

My gut is telling me the next one should be titanium, or titanium/carbon combination. Bad idea? Parlee? Seven? Legend?

Ideally it should be suitable for the road. Quick, but not a speed machine. Gorgeous, but not so extreme I might hate it by summer, and allow me to use my spare summer wheels which are Enve 4.5. Groupset may be Sram Etap, but I dont like the current cassette limitation so may have to think more on that.

Geometry more Roubaix than Tarmac (apologies for the metaphor) as my spine is not flexible as it was, and I will ride it about 12 hours a week.

Assuming I will build it up myself, that excludes complete bikes. So what would be on your short list?

No budget restriction ATM, that may come later when the proposal is submitted to management.

Have a look on Weightweenies if you've no budget, some incredible bikes on there.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Festka do a carbon/titanium bike.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,790
    Kinesis Racelight GF Ti?
  • If budget (and time) is no object, Firefly or Mosaic for full Ti or Ti/Carbon custom. If you're looking for something more in a stock size but available as a frameset, take a look at Pretorius.
  • Thanks folks. Will research those. Perhaps another carbon one.

I left the 1986 steel classic off the list but I am going to sell that next year anyway.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Enigma Excel or Independent Fabrication XS. I have the former and am only prevented from buying the latter by the need to replace my main road bike after I broke it.
  • Enigma, thanks. I have had several recommendation for them.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Whilst not titanium I would be looking at this: http://www.repetecycles.com/EN/reborn

Custom geometry to suit you, hand-built, not mass produced, look amazing.

$1890 or £1250 approx.

When I hang up my racing wheels and want a bike for poncing about on in the summer then one of these will be on the short list.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!