Just starting commuting - what clothes to wear?

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited December 2015 in Commuting general
I've ridden road bikes for years but now I'm about to jack in my Sheffield to Leeds drive for a 5 mile ride to work instead.

I won't have a shower at the new office and want to arrive reasonably cool and not stinking too much so roady clothes might not be the best gear for me.

Any suggestions on what to ride in? Thought about some MTB shorts to allow some air flow but any tips much appreciated.

I'll be using SPD shoes and ordinary socks.

Comments

• andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    This time of year, I'm wearing Ron Hill Tracksters (I think that's what they're called)
    They keep my legs reasonably warm, and not sweaty
    Top half is usually a couple of thin layers and a windproof soft shell - A £30 one from Edinburgh Cycles
    TBF, arriving at work sweaty isn't an issue for me, working in a foundry means a bit of sweat is one of the more pleasant aromas :(

Oh, and, panniers help a lot with the sweat thing, if they are an option
  • rodgers73
    So some tights and a few cheap base layers and a softshell? Sounds easy to sort.

Any other variations anyone?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I tend to run hot, I'm still in t-shirt and shorts and not getting too sweaty, if it gets below about +3 then I'll wear a soft shell jacket.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    I tend to run hot, I'm still in t-shirt and shorts and not getting too sweaty, if it gets below about +3 then I'll wear a soft shell jacket.
    As above still in my baggy shorts and long sleeved jersey maybe with a base layer especially for 5 miles
  • The Rookie
    Not sure i agree, rage further the ride the more the need to dress to your 'steady state' temperature, in t-shirt and shorts I am chilly after 1 miles, after 2 I'm up to temperature and not cold, after 4-5 I'm starting to sweat.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • edrobbin
    edrobbin Posts: 173
    Not sure i agree, rage further the ride the more the need to dress to your 'steady state' temperature, in t-shirt and shorts I am chilly after 1 miles, after 2 I'm up to temperature and not cold, after 4-5 I'm starting to sweat.

+1

I'm still in a t-shirt (Helly Hansen wicking type thing) and will always be unless it is tipping down. Combined with MTB baggies over Altura night vision tights. I do 7 miles each way, and treat it as a flat out sprint all the way so no jacket on the planet will stop me boiling in the bag. Still in summer gloves as well...

A longer distance, or at more pootle pace and agree more layers needed.
    Waterloo - White City

Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 2016
    Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 3 26" (Lefty) :D
  • The Rookie
    7 miles for me as well, and yes still in lightweight gloves and anything waterproof just means a steam cooker to me.
  • rodgers73
    Reckon I'll get some baggy shorts and use a thin long sleeve jersey to start.

Maybe a softshell jacket and a baselayer when it gets arctic
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    I would echo some of the above. Its all about layers, I would start with a few base layers from Decathlon - They are £5 each and work great, Cheap enough to get 1 for each day of the week. Then I normally go t-shirt over the top followed by a mid-weight water proof jacket, Again I got a generic hiking jacket from Decathlon for £28 and it works great.

Pop open the vents to get some airflow, Winter running tights under MTB shorts would work a treat.

One thing I would say is even with the best mud guards in the world you WILL get wet feet so take a spare pair of socks, Its amazing how much a clean dry pair of socks can lift the spirits after a miserable ride to work.

Finally I would say if you have not already done so kit out your commuter bike (if possible) with full guards and a pannier rack/bag. You can keep a spare set of clothes in there and also dump any extra layers you may want to take off if it gets warmer in the afternoon also it will help keep air flowing around your torso reducing the amount of sweat. If it rains you will get wet but clean rain water is far better than dirty road water.

Enjoy.
  • The Rookie
    a miserable ride to work.
    I understand the words, not the sentence, work may be miserable, the ride never is!
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    a miserable ride to work.
    I understand the words, not the sentence, work may be miserable, the ride never is!

This ^^^

25 mile(*) commute in the pouring rain with the last 6miles on unlit roads last night - grinning all over my face

* "commute" is now from Westminster to Epping to see mum in Hospital. Serious kudos to those who do that sort of distance all year - I hope I only need do it for another week or so. Strava miles looking very good from last week of extra distance