Brick Lane Bikes, any good for £249?

tangled_metal
tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
edited December 2015 in Commuting general
Brick Lane Bikes, any good? Single speed with front brake but where is the rear? Is it a case of back pedalling or applying force on the pedals to resist them turning? Seriously can't remember ever riding a fixie or singlespeed so don't know this.

http://www.tkmaxx.com/unique-finds/-6ku-mint-green-single-speed-fixed-gear-bike-/invt/02130324

Comments

• mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Brick Lane Bikes, any good? Single speed with front brake but where is the rear? Is it a case of back pedalling or applying force on the pedals to resist them turning? Seriously can't remember ever riding a fixie or singlespeed so don't know this.

http://www.tkmaxx.com/unique-finds/-6ku-mint-green-single-speed-fixed-gear-bike-/invt/02130324

I had a little poke at one of these. The good and the bad:

1) They look cool
    2) See 1)
    3) See 3) again
    4) You will occasionally notice that it weighs about 3 tonne, is made from pig iron, but you'll stop (often to gather breath) and then notice how nice it looks again
    5) You will occasionally take a corner at speed, try to free wheel, and almost fall off.
    6) If you do fall off, you get the opportunity to see how good it looks again
    7) It's only £249, so you don't really have to worry about locking it when you go to the shops/pub/work
    8) If you have a beard and/or turned up trousers (no socks), then it will suit you nicely
    9) it looks very nice
    10) Did I mention how nice it looks?

I had a rubbish £200 fixie for ages, and it was great fun, but was not very good, if that makes sense.
    Insert bike here:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's a fixie, no freewheel, so you are pedalling all the time you are moving, so yes, resisting motion, is how you brake the back wheel.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    Similar bike, half the price - they do a range of three colours.
    http://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-fixie-bike-mens-933352?colcode=93335248
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks. Avoid is what I take from the advice so far. I've just shaved off my beard after.several years.together, not had.rolled up trousers since a young people kid with no no rights to decide my own.fashion choices and I don't care about how my bike looks only how well it suits my needs. I ride a London Road afterall!

Plus not sure.I'd cope with the hills round here, both uphill and down sounds dodgy with a a fixie. I did wonder if this was a single speed with a freewheel.
  • The Rookie
    It may have a flip flop rear hub, but to be legal you'd need a rear brake.

London Roads look great, especially in Kermit green by the way.
  • Not as nice in silver and tiagra spec