Upgrading Ultegra Di2 from 10spd to 11

stucart
stucart Posts: 2
edited December 2015 in Workshop
Hi, after reading up I purchased a Ultegra Di2 6780 11 spd RD for my Colnago CX1 Ultegra Di2 6770 10 speed which was purchased Sept 2012 on the understanding if I swapped the RD chain and cassette it would work!
Well it doesn't, plug RD in and it does nothing, unplug FD it still does nothing? With new RD FD still works, plug in 6770 RD and it all works again.
Where am I going wrong? According to what I'd read so long as it was on firmware before 2014 it would except a mixed component system ie 6770 levers 6770 FD and 6780 11 spd RD.
Any suggestions?
Sorry if it's been done to death before but can't find an answer.
Cheers Stu

Comments

• Persist with looking as there's been quite a bit written about Di2 compatibility - especially which firmware versions are required. Any particular reason for swapping?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • http://carltonbale.com/shimano-di2-everything-you-need-to-know/

http://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/pdf/HM-CC.2.10.0-00-EN.pdf

which you may have read. I guess it's difficult to be sure none of your system has been updated (especially the battery) without the kit.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • clogg
    clogg Posts: 70
    I have upgraded a couple of my own bikes and others from 10-11 speed Di2. While it was true that when the 11 speed came out a rear mech change was all that was needed this situation did not last for long. Firmware upgrades came in quickly enough (pre installed on the newer components). These ensured that you needed both front and rear mechs to be 11 speed.
    This change normally works but on the last occasion i have had to update the firmware on the whole system to get it to work. (I have a sm-pc1e unit to link to pc).
    From what you are saying I would think that the new rear mech is working on updated firmware and that is what is causing the problem.
    If you have access to a unit its a quick job to see where the problem is but at this stage I cannot see any way round getting an 11speed rear mech.