Gear for winter

Kerrmit1992
Kerrmit1992 Posts: 275
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
Hey folks,

What do use wear to keep warm while cycling in winter?

I've not been on my bike since about October and have put a lot of weight on. I've not had the motivation due to the cold, wet and windy conditions.

I've just ordered a 1200 lumen light from eBay (wonder how long it will last) so I now just need gear to keep warm. I've been looking at long cycling tights but need an affordable pair (Under £50). My jacket just needs a wash with special stuff (no idea what)

Any help to get me back out would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Craig
Mountain biking is the bicycle version or rallying, except you don't need a Co-Driver!

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,790
    Warm merino wool socks, cycling shoes and windstopper overshoes. Full length Sportful bib tights. Long sleeve Helly Hansen base layer under a Gore Phantom soft shell jacket. Decent windproof gloved and a Buff under my bike helmet.
    That lot does me down to sub zero temps and on night rides.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    DHb 3/4 lengths
    Normal bibs on top
    Jeff bag running vest from work
    Normal cycling top
    Assos jacket
    Whatever winter gloves are in the sale
    Help For Heroes cycling socks
    Casquette under helmet
    Sunglasses that have had the arms eaten by The Hound

And that's it - icy, snowy conditions no problems
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    For me it's all about layers, I'd rather have 2 or 3 decent thinner layers than 1 thick layer.

My minimum Winter wardrobe would be:
    Fleece lined or "wind stopper" bib-tights. Personally I use DHB "Roubaix" tights which seem to be a decent compromise between cost and comfort)
    Warm socks. I use De-feet Woolly Bully but I used to use DHB which were cheaper and OK
    Overshoes. I can't over-emphasise the difference these make to me personally. I personally wouldn't bother trying to find waterproof ones as, in my limited experience, none of them are. I use rubberised neoprene BBB ones which mean my feet get wet but stay warm
    Merino baselayer. I've got various and they all do the job so personally I'd buy based on cost and user reviews
    Winter cycling jersey. I have various rain jackets from cheap, packable ones to a Gore Oxygen 2 but unless it's absolutely throwing it down (when I use the Gore) I use a warm, Winter jersey with a degree of water resistance rather than a "waterproof" as they are more comfortable and versatile. Currently I use a Castelli Gabba but they are pretty pricey. Previously I used a DHB Windslam blade which I thought was absolutely fantastic but for some ridiculous reason are only available in black. I only bought the Castelli because I didn't want to go out all in black in dim conditions
    I can't really speak to gloves as I have badly arthritic fingers with poor circulation and it took me forever to find a combination that works for me
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    It's your extremities that are hard to keep warm.
    Winter shoes are the best bet but the cheaper option is a pair of cheaper shoes with minimum vents/ mesh in a bigger size so you can use warm socks. Then neoprene overshoes.
    Three finger gloves are best for very cold weather.
  • Hey folks,

Thanks for the replys, plenty of information there for me :-)

I find it's my legs and extremities that get cold lol. I never used to mind the cold when I used to play rugby when I was younger but I think I'm turning into a wuss! lol

How do you wash the jackets that require special stuff to be washed with? I think its the stuff that re-waterproofs them? I've got a jacket like that but I've not used the waterproofing stuff since I got it like 2 years ago.

Cheers
    Craig
    Mountain biking is the bicycle version or rallying, except you don't need a Co-Driver!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,790
    The main thing is to ensure your washing machine is totally clean before you start, ie no residue from previous washing powder/liquid in the drawer. Then just follow the instructions on the packet really.

Regarding cold extremeties, as mentioned above, for your feet you will find overshoes make a massive difference. For hands, the lobster style gloves are probably the best for really cold conditions or otherwise try layering up with some thinner liner gloves under a thicker water/windproof outer glove.

Bib tights are available in warm "super Roubaix" fabric or some come with Windstopper panels at the front.
  • Hey folks,

Thanks for the replys, plenty of information there for me :-)

I find it's my legs and extremities that get cold lol. I never used to mind the cold when I used to play rugby when I was younger but I think I'm turning into a wuss! lol

How do you wash the jackets that require special stuff to be washed with? I think its the stuff that re-waterproofs them? I've got a jacket like that but I've not used the waterproofing stuff since I got it like 2 years ago.

Cheers

Craig

Unless you were running around the rugby pitch at around 20mph for the entire game, then it's not the same thing!

Depends on the actual jacket, but take a look here and choose the most suitable. The main choice you have is between a spray-on or a wash-in type. The spray-on ones tend to get more favourable mentions, but the wash-in type are less of a faff, and should work just as well.

http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/productselector/waterproofing.php

If your jacket is a 'proper' waterproof, ie one that has a waterproof membrane (eg GoreTex), then you might not need to reproof, but some cloth just has a water repellent treatment that does wash out after a while (ie Gabba etc), so you will need to reproof these. Of course you can always reproof the former, it might help with 'beading' the water away and stop the material getting saturated, which in turn can affect breathability. Try and check the manufacturers guidelines if you can, it might specify the correct reproofing procedure.
  • I'll be swapping my road pedals over to MTB this afternoon for tomorrows ride, then I can wear my Shimano Gore tex boots which are very good.

Also picked up a pair of Endura waterproof gloves from TK Maxx a few months ago for a bargain few quid.

Gore windstopper tights over the top of some bibs.
    Wooly bully socks
    Long sleeved merino base layer
    Soft shell Gore jacket
    waterproof Goretex Alp X shell
    buff around the neck
    buff under my helmet.

I always buff under my helmet in the colder months...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,399
    I......

I always buff under my helmet in the colder months...

Does that keep your helmet shiny?! :shock:
  • Thanks for the info guys :-)
  • My Mrs bought me some winter kit for my birthday from a company based in Leicestershire called Vanelli Cycling. I had never heard of them before but I have to say there kit is great. Got a Thermal jacket and Thermal bib tights and the quality is great for what I think she paid, around £60 for the Jacket and £50 odd for the bib tights. We are gonna get a quote of em to do our club kit too as it's advertised on their website.
  • I'll maybe go have a look around their website as they sound like good prices. No way am I paying like £100 foir a pair of bib tights lol. dhb look quite good to though but i've heard the fit seems to suit skinnier people. I've got calfs and thighs like tree trunks lol.
  • I'm carrying a kilo or two over and the Jacket is spot on. Checked the details online and the chamois is a gel pad which I suspected but wasn't sure. Wish I hadn't now as they have a sale on but hey that's life.