Wheels for lighter/racier bike?

Mattcee
Mattcee Posts: 148
edited December 2015 in MTB buying advice
I've been upgrading my 2015 Giant Anthem so its much lighter now but one thing I haven't changed is the wheelset.
This bike is used for more endurance and fitness than trails and is mix on off/on road with nothing taxing.

My budget for a wheelset is around the £300 mark and I want a set under 1800g if possible and nothing to wide and will only take light/racier tyres (currently Racing Ralphs) or even semi slicks in the Summer. and must be 650b.

I saw these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fulcrum-red-power-27-5-hp-wheelset-2016/rp-prod126874 and are under 1700g but only have one review.

Does anyone else have these wheels - or can anyone reccomend a decent set?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My Son has the similar red metal 5's, bought used, been faultless in 3 years of use.

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/library/pdf/the_list_wheels.pdf
    TL28's on Tesla hubs for £150?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    ActionSports.de do Fun Works N-Light hubs on Crests for €389, they're 1450g.

I'd not use Fulcrum wheels if you paid me, spares can be a massive PITA and hub reliability often poor.
  • Mattcee
    ActionSports.de do Fun Works N-Light hubs on Crests for €389, they're 1450g.

I'd not use Fulcrum wheels if you paid me, spares can be a massive PITA and hub reliability often poor.

Was tempted with those until I saw the weight limit was 80-85 kg and I'm around 80 :(
  • njee20
    Meh, I'd not worry. They're 32 spoke, Crests will be fine.
  • Mattcee
    Meh, I'd not worry. They're 32 spoke, Crests will be fine.

You reckon?

Although I'm sure manufactures put some margin in so prob 90-100kg is more realistic.
    Just worried if anything did happen and they broke with potential injury's to me!
  • njee20
    There's no reason to impose a weight limit. The rims are the bit that could fail, and they have no weight limit. Indeed none of the parts have a weight limit.

They'll be a bit flexy if you're heavier, but that's about it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm using Stans Alpines with a 75kg weight limit, and I'm about 90kg dressed fully for action, no issues now in over a year, Stans are very conservative with their weight limits. I do check spoke tension very regularly though as insurance.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.