All Round Grease Recommendation

aberdeenal
aberdeenal Posts: 200
edited December 2015 in Workshop
Hello,

Can anyone recommend a good "all round" grease for bike maintenance?

Cheers,

Al

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    There are all much of a muchness despite the blurb that gets written on the side of the tub/tube, IMO. I have found it very useful to have an applicator, the Finishline grease gun works really well for getting the grease into the right places for bearings, etc., so combining that with a tube of Finishline ticks the boxes for all occasions for me. Others use a cheaper solution, like vets syringes matched with a large tub of motor grease.

Bear in mind that you will need to learn the difference between what works well lubed and what needs to be greased. For example, cable guides under BBs respond well to 3in1, same goes for braking pivots, etc. For bearings (at least the steel bearings with closed seals type that I use), it has to be grease.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I really like the little tubs of Shimano grease. Used to be branded Dura-Ace but now it's Premium Grease. Bright green colour and seems to last longer than cheaper ones. A little tub lasts for ages.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Go down to your local motor factor (the dude who supplies the garages) and buy big tubs at trade prices of:

Normal moly grease for things that move
    Copperslip for those that don't

Jobs a fish.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Lard
  • Thanks for all the responses - I'm out this afternoon should be able to pick up one of the recommendations :-)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    787091.jpg

Smash them Strava times Al