Shimano shoes, stretch?

mcstumpy
mcstumpy Posts: 298
edited December 2015 in Road general
Hi, I'm going to buy a pair of Shimano RT82 shoes. My local store don't have that model but I was able to try another model for size. The 45s were a little too big, the 44s just about right but maybe slightly tight, but I'm wondering if they would be like my size 43 Merrels which always start out a bit tight but then stretch a little to perfect. Anyone with Shimano shoes care to advise? Thanks.

Comments

• I didn't find that mine stretched at all (like you I was fractionally over one size and well below the next). Ended up buying a different pair.
  • mcstumpy
    Thanks, my wife suggests buying the bigger size with an insole.
  • I bought a different brand that fitted properly.
  • geode
    geode Posts: 25
    My Shimano shoes have certainly got a hint wider, at least the buckles suggest that. I wouldn't like to rely on any shoes stretching sufficently to be comfortable
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    They're synthetic leather so shouldn't stretch. You want bigger and pad them out if you have to. Too small is asking for numb toes.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Not even a millimetre of stretch after thousands of uncomfortable kilometres.

Choose a brand designed for human feet instead.
  • mcstumpy
    Thank you all, I'm not sensing a lot of love for shimano shoes?
  • Indeed - I have no issue with the shoes other than the fact that size 47 was too small and size 48 too big (I have very narrow feet - so the width was fine), just that another brand had a size (47) that fit me better.
  • Lake shoes are like slippers, without the smell of sheepskin.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Lake shoes are like slippers, without the smell of sheepskin.

All shoes are like slippers if they fit you feet properly.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    RT82 are very tight on my feet and don't seem to be getting looser with time. All my shoes are 45 but these at 45 are tighter than i would like. They feel tight when i put them on and start pedaling but i soon forget them and feel comfortable on long rides, so still confused if i should replace them with a pair one size bigger.
  • mcstumpy
    I tried on size 45 M065s again today, with straps nice and tight that size seemed good. I've ordered the RT82s.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    It all comes down to your feet.
    Some people have feet for Shimano's , some not.
    I like them, have 2 pairs, never had any discomfort or complaints.
    And this while i'm using Campagnolo bikes.....
  • One of the biggest improvements you can make is to ditch the out-of-the-box insole and get some decent ones, which often improves fit hugely. There are some good orthotic inserts available that actually give some arch support - can totally change the way the shoe feels.
  • mcstumpy
    The RT82s in size 45 fit well, the ratchet strap works nicely. Still to try them out on the bike, my first time with clip less. ... what could possibly go wrong?
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I've got the MT82s as well, no stretch but I did have to go up a size on my normal size. Good shoes imo.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise