Which Canyon

G.man
G.man Posts: 22
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
I have chosen the make of my next road bike but can't quite decide on which model to go for. It's between;

Canyon Ultimate cf sl 9.0 di2 - Shimano Ultegra di2 with Mavic Elite wheels - Black/red or grey/blue

Canyon Ultimate cf sl 9.0 Team - Campy Chorus 11 (2015) with Eurus wheels - Movistar colours or Black/white

Anyone out there got any experience of these models or any advice?

Comments

• I have a huge preference for the Movistar colour one ! I think Campagnolo wheelset is a little bit better, but there is not that much difference between thoses bikes.
    Depending if you like Campy gear shifting, or if you rather have a Di2.
  • I've got a Movistar bike in the Roadlite version. It is nice. I wouldn't touch Ultegra Di2 with a bargepole.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,032
    I would go for the Movistar one - I think it looks nicer, prefer those wheels and personally I'd take Chorus over Di2 though I realise this is a matter of some debate in these parts ! It mostly comes down to preference over colour and whether you prefer electronic or mechanical shifting and I suppose any difference in price.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • G.man
    I've got a Movistar bike in the Roadlite version. It is nice. I wouldn't touch Ultegra Di2 with a bargepole.

Sloppyschleckonds do you have bad experiences with Di2?
  • G.man
    I would go for the Movistar one - I think it looks nicer, prefer those wheels and personally I'd take Chorus over Di2 though I realise this is a matter of some debate in these parts ! It mostly comes down to preference over colour and whether you prefer electronic or mechanical shifting and I suppose any difference in price.

DeVlaeminck - do you have Chorus 11 groupset on you bike? If s, is it really as good as I have heard?
  • Chorus 11 is very nice, its on my GF's Canyon. It looks the part and has a cool positive agricultural noise when you change gears. Love the multi upshift function too. No experience of the Ultegra Di2 though
  • G.man
    Chorus 11 is very nice, its on my GF's Canyon. It looks the part and has a cool positive agricultural noise when you change gears. Love the multi upshift function too. No experience of the Ultegra Di2 though

Nothing beats that positive gear change (with proper sound effects)!

Has your GF needed to do much to keep the gears in optimium performance? I hear the campy groupsets need to be 'run in' and wondered if they had to be tweeked as a result?

I don't have any experience with campy and am a little concerned that my local LBS's (who only really sell Shimano) won't have the right knowledge to work on the bike.
  • Actually not so much, it's quite surprising, not sure if the cables are pre stretched or what, but so far it's been good. That said she's only had it 6 months, and covered about (max) 2000 miles
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,790
    Worth thinking about the costs of "consumable" parts that might need replacing - for example a Chorus cassette will cost you double the money of an Ultegra one.

The Eurus wheels are slightly better but probably not a difference that will be very noticeable in the real world.

Any chance you can test ride bikes with the two groupsets? Your choice will probably come down to which bike you like the look of and which groupset you prefer the feel of.
  • I've got a Movistar bike in the Roadlite version. It is nice. I wouldn't touch Ultegra Di2 with a bargepole.

Sloppyschleckonds do you have bad experiences with Di2?

No bad experience, I just don't think it offers anything apart from changing gears, it looks awful and isn't lightweight. I suppose cleaner lines and no cables which may be a benefit. I would rather go for mechanical Dura Ace.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • I've got the Ultimate SLX Di2 8.0 and love it but had to wait a long time for it to arrive - perhaps the lead time may make the decision for you?

I think whatever one you choose you won't be disappointed they are great bikes.
  • I would contact them and see if they can give you a status of how their current delivery performance is. I had an order with them and it took 7 weeks to get a confirmed dispatch date, unfortunately that was for a further 4 months wait! Needless to say, the order was cancelled.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    spanner147 wrote:
    I would contact them and see if they can give you a status of how their current delivery performance is. I had an order with them and it took 7 weeks to get a confirmed dispatch date, unfortunately that was for a further 4 months wait! Needless to say, the order was cancelled.

I have an Ultimate SLX on order and the delivery date has already been put back twice! Original date was this month, then start of Feb and now end of Feb. I am probably going to cancel as I have found another bike I would prefer (I think) but if I do decide to keep the order in, I have a feeling it will be the late spring at the earliest before they finally deliver.

Moral of the story, if you place an order don't believe the estimated delivery week & expect a long wait! (unless you get it from the outlet store)
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Some nightmare stories on cyclechat about Canyon supply chain, 6 months not unusual, and some customers getting charged for bikes that had been cancelled (due to protracted delivery times) which leads to even more drawn out phone calls trying to retrieve money.

Just saying, nice bikes, but...
  • Lovely looking bikes but many nightmare stories about delivery times and mistakes. Rose, a less well known German company, also have similarly priced climbing bikes. Much more customizable and better customer service by all accounts. Otherwise, look for a 2015 Cannondale SuperSix Evo on sale from a British online retailer. That's what I did and got my bike much quicker than ordering from Germany.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Friend of mine ordered canyon in November and was meant to get it December. It's since been put back to June..
  • redvision
    Friend of mine ordered canyon in November and was meant to get it December. It's since been put back to June..

what model was that for?
  • Never had a problem with Canyon delivery times, both my Canyon's have arrived before the given the delivery date.

Even if the wait is 4 months from today, is that an issue? You'll be getting it in April when the weather should have settled a bit.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437

what model was that for?

I think it was for the ULTIMATE CF SL 9.0.
  • Friend of mine ordered canyon in November and was meant to get it December. It's since been put back to June..

what model was that for?

I think it was for the ULTIMATE CF SL 9.0.

Worth the wait :wink:
  • redvision
    Well i sent Canyon an email this morning asking if they could give me an update on my estimated delivery date and they have just emailed back (fastest response i have had from them for a bit) saying they don't foresee any further delays with my order and it should be with me between March 14-18.

Somehow i suspect they will put this date back again.

This said, if i do keep my order in, this will be my second Canyon and i always knew the estimated dates are never usually accurate, the bikes are worth the wait though.