Online Petitions, Should I start one to get them banned?

Bobbinogs
Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
edited December 2015 in The cake stop
There are a couple of news items today which both say xxx thousand have signed an online petition to get some outspoken individual 'banned' in some way. Is this really the way forward nowadays? I have signed some petitions for cycling things but, in a way, I quite like the idea that some folks are outspoken even if I don't agree with them. In this airbrushed world, does everyone have to be vanilla or are we then just distorting appearances (after all, some people are racist, homophobic, just plain bad, whether we 'ban' them or not).

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,747
    How many circles do you go round trying to process banning bans?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    I think they are symptomatic of a combination of political apathy and on line fixation. You don't actually have to do anything of substance, its like Virtual opinion.

The thing that bothers me is supposedly if over 100,000 people sign the Government have to debate it!
    I Suppose that's democracy at work, Or at least a distraction for the Jeremy Kyle viewers.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Seems that online polls must be followed (in some people's opinion) even when the outcome is ridiculous.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-35077124