bit of advice with sizing

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi folks,

I could really do with some advice as i am pulling my hair out mulling over bike geometry/sizes.

I have an order in for a new Canyon but the estimated delivery has already been pushed back twice - as per normal with Canyon it seems.

My previous Canyon was a size medium (equates to a 56cm frame). My training bike is a Felt F85 again in a 56cm frame. Following a retul fit both were fitted with 110 stems.

Anyway, since placing my order for the new Canyon i have been offered a brand new S Works tarmac frame by my lbs at a bargain price. This has always been my dream bike, ever since i rode a demo one a couple of years ago, but i have never been in a position to afford it.

I am trying to decide whether to stick with the Canyon on order or go for the S works.
Anyway, i have been looking at all the geometry and that and i am so confused. I know the S Works has a slightly longer top tube than the Felt or Canyon, and i can't figure out if the 54cm frame or a 56cm frame is the one i should go for.

The geometry of all 3 is here:
https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/ultimate/2016/ultimate-cf-slx-9-0.html
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-f85-tiagra-wiggle-exclusive/
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/tarmac/sworks-tarmac-frameset#geometry

I have stared at the charts for so long my mind has gone. The shop tell me 56cm but i would really appreciate any help and advice from you guys.

Thanks

Comments

• 86inch
    86inch Posts: 161
    Looking at the stack and reach sizing the Tarmac 56cm is closest to the Canyon in a Medium

Tarmac
    Stack = 564mm
    Reach = 395mm

Canyon
    Stack = 567mm
    Reach = 391mm

With a 3 and 4 mm difference i don't think you would notice anything much in the fit.
    These are the measurements that are most crucial in defining the comparison of fit, but have little or no bearing on the handling etc, as it wont take into account steering angles etc.
  • concur, also the Tarmac in a 54 has a HT 15mm shorter than the Canyon, dont want a load of spacers under that stem, but the biggest reason is the Canyon is way better, in every way :)
  • redvision
    Thanks for the reply.

Thats pretty much what they said in the shop.

I just thought i would ask for opinions on here as it will be a while before i ride it and didn't want to get it and realise a few months down the line its the wrong size.
    Plus people have always told me if in doubt go for a smaller frame than one which might be too big... :?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Get the biggest frame they do, you get better value/more product for your money that way.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • redvision
    Get the biggest frame they do, you get better value/more product for your money that way.

:lol:
    They said they couldn't do a penny farthing at the special price :lol:
  • redvision
    Ok, just to throw a spanner in to the works, Specialized have come back to me and recommended a 54cm frame.

Guess i will have to find one to test ride as think it could be the only way of knowing for certain.

Think i will be cancelling the Canyon though as heart seems set on the S-Works now.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    The stack for the SWorks 54 is almost identical to your Felt, however, the shorter reach implies you will need a 120mm stem for the SWorks.
  • redvision
    The stack for the SWorks 54 is almost identical to your Felt, however, the shorter reach implies you will need a 120mm stem for the SWorks.

Thanks, I did think if i go for the 54 i would probably need a longer stem.
    Still finding it incredibly hard to figure out the correct size though. I'm hoping to test ride a normal tarmac next week, so hopefully that will provide the answer.

Thanks for all the help.

PS out of interest has anyone who placed an order for the new Canyon Ultimate CF SLX actually received the bike yet?? I placed my order last month and have already had emails to say the delivery date is going to be later (was originally December, then Feb 4th-8th and now Feb 24-28th).