Changing tube and tyre

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited December 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I've only ever once changed tyres on my hybrid and it went okay and I've had no tube or tyre issues for the last two years.

However, I need to make sure I do everything right as it was just a bit of common sense previously but I want to do things properly this time around when I change both the inner tubes and tyres with new ones.

I have tyre levers and a floor pump. Apart from the basics of changing inner tubes and tyres, is there anything I need to be aware of or follow in term of good practice?

Comments

• qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    Decals on tyre and wheel opposite each other.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Logo needs to lined up with the valve, or people will point and laugh at you.

More seriously, it helps to find the valve easily in crappy weather/visibilty/tired old eyes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Logo needs to lined up with the valve, or people will point and laugh at you.

More seriously, it helps to find the valve easily in crappy weather/visibilty/tired old eyes.
    And can help with locating the thorn that caused the next puncture that's still embedded into the tyre.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Yeah the valve absolutely needs to be lined up with the manufacturer's logo (not the name of the tyre)

And look out for the barely visible rotation arrow make sure you put them on the right way round
  • rumbataz
    Thanks everyone - I'll be changing the tyres and tubes on Saturday and will follow your advice.
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    Talc on tubes and inner of tyre.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    also when you have a bit of air in the tyre to check that the tyre is centered on the rim.
  • rumbataz
    Quick question: are tyres directional? I've got new Schwalbe Marathon Supreme tyres. They have a V-patterned tread. Should the point of the V point in the direction of rotation?
  • Yes
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Quick question: are tyres directional? I've got new Schwalbe Marathon Supreme tyres. They have a V-patterned tread. Should the point of the V point in the direction of rotation?

They will have a directional arrow on the sidewall. Some rotate in opposite directions depending on whether they are on the front or rear.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rumbataz
    Thanks guys, I'll take a more careful look. I did expect to see some arrow indicating rotation direction but couldn't spot it on these tyres.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Fit them so the V of the tread is pointing forwards when at the top of the wheels travel. i.e. the point of the V should hit the tarmac first.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • rumbataz
    New tyres and tubes fitted this morning. Thank you for all your advice everyone. I had no issues whatsoever and took advantage of the wheels being off the bike to give them a good clean and adjust the disc brakes too. Re-torqued whatever I could re-torque and a test ride showed the ride to be a little more comfortable than before.