Looking for a good beginner gravel bike...

ZachLegleiter
ZachLegleiter Posts: 13
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
Hey everyone.

I have been convinced by a friend to do some gravel events here in Kansas in 2016. I am looking to get myself a good gravel bike. I am looking at doing five events in 2016, I am just wanting to "get my feet wet" next season before potentially trying to tackle the Dirty Kanza in a few years.

I am leaning towards the Felt line of cross bikes. Iv'e heard good things about them.

My buddy has a Felt F55x:
http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2016/Bikes/cross/fx-16/F55x.aspx

Felt also has the all carbon F4x:
http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2016/Bikes/cross/fx-16/F4x.aspx

Besides Frame material (as best as i can tell) the two bikes are virtually the same. My first question is; Is it worth the extra $$ for the carbon frame or can i save money and go Aluminum?

Being a long time roadie, I am a little hesitant going to hydraulic disc brakes, and the different type of care they take. But I am really enthused about the new Sram 1x group. Can anyone shed some light on any of this? Pros/Cons of hydraulic discs? Also, has anyone used the Sram 1x group?

I look forward to hear your thoughts / suggestions!!
Thanks everyone for your help!!

Comments

• inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    The main pro for hydraulic brakes is theat they're much better stoppers than cable brakes. Simple as that. Never need adjusting either.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The main pro for hydraulic brakes over cable disc is that they will stop you, rather than just slow you down (especially off road). Simple as that. Never need adjusting either.

FTFY 8)

SRAM Force are stupidly good hydraulic disc brakes by the way.
    Anyone thinking of getting Rival that wants good stopping power should try Force first.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    The main pro for hydraulic brakes over cable disc is that they will stop you, rather than just slow you down (especially off road). Simple as that. Never need adjusting either.

FTFY 8)

SRAM Force are stupidly good hydraulic disc brakes by the way.
    Anyone thinking of getting Rival that wants good stopping power should try Force first.
    Rival hydro is no slouch but point well made
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • I have found a 2015 BMC GF02: https://www.racycles.com/road/bmc/bmc-granfondo-gf02-disc-105-bike-8035

I must say the lime green color is rather cool. I have other BMC bikes and have been happy with them.

I also want to say, I plan on this bike (which ever i end up going with) being a commuter bike as well. I live less than 2 miles from work, I would like to start riding in to work in the Spring.

It has 105 with discs, Although not Sram 1x, and not Hydro brakes. It has clearance for up to 38mm tires. Any thoughts on this bike? Yay, Nay?
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I wouldn't say that the GF02 was a gravel bike, it won't take large enough tyres.

If you like BMC, take a look at the CXA01 cross bike. could be what you are looking for?

http://www.bmc-switzerland.com/int-en/bikes/road/cross-crossmachine-cxa01-105/
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,032
    If it takes 38mm tyres that seems enough for gravel. I'm assuming Kansas is fairly dry, I don't know, so no desire for mudguards or ploughing through muddy cross type terrain?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Ah, I thought the GF02 was limited to 28mm tyres. but I can see now that this is not the case. my bad.
  • AFAIK its the GF01 disk is 28mm
    GF02 has the 35mm clearance.

Mistake on the GF01 IMO!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Had a similar plan recently, Some thoughts..

For "proper" gravel grinding (just an FYI this is a mostly UK based forum and we don't really have gravel back roads) I would say that the potential comfort that could be engineered into a carbon frame would be worth the money

Hydraulic brakes are 100% worth spending some extra to get - that said the bike I ve just put a deposit on has cable discs. THis is becasue it's a superb frame for an amazing cost and I will upgrade the brakes when the new Shimano 105 hydraulics are out

I don't know the terrain of Kansas but for a long distance riding bike I would say at a 2 x 11 group will be better. The SRAM 1x stuff is great if you live somewhere flat or with shallow hills so you can tune the chainring to your ability but still keep the relatively close ratio cassette. (or for CX where you run up anything steep anyway)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I just read the disc article on the road section of this website and it suggests that the standard is rumored to be:
    [Word is this agreed specification is for 160mm rotors, with Shimano-type 12mm E-thru axles front and rear. BikeRadar is waiting on confirmation of exactly what these specs will be and will update this article then]

So maybe worth waiting for that and buying a bike designed with this 'standard'.
  • ddraver
    ^I must say, I'm struggling to believe that. Of all the bikes I ve looked at none of them have used that.

100 x 15mm front and 142 x 12 mm or 135mm QR seem to be the main disc contenders as far as I can see.
    - @ddraver
  • I don't know the terrain of Kansas but for a long distance riding bike I would say at a 2 x 11 group will be better. The SRAM 1x stuff is great if you live somewhere flat or with shallow hills so you can tune the chainring to your ability but still keep the relatively close ratio cassette. (or for CX where you run up anything steep anyway)

Kansas terrain is quite flat. (At least where I live in southern Kansas) Eastern Kansas has some short climbs but it's nothing major.
  • Thoughts on this one?

Niner RLT 9 2 Star 105 5800 Bike
    http://www.jensonusa.com/Cyclocross-Bikes/Niner-RLT-9-2-Star-105-5800-Bike
  • ddraver
    A) So jealous how flipping cheap bikes are in the US

B) I have lusted after that bike for a long while

( c) but i ve never ridden one, or even seen it in the flesh. Ditto the Salsa Warbird which is just lovely)

Wasnt much help really was I? :(
    - @ddraver
  • http://www.jensonusa.com/Cyclocross-Bikes/Niner-RLT-9-2-Star-105-5800-Bike

http://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bike/ProductDetail?Id=3870cfc6-cb23-4811-9ce5-d2be530af7d9&parentid=06a6cfcd-2e55-433c-b56e-6f1c1faf4476

Test road both of these bikes yesterday, and loved them both. Ive narrowed down my search to these two bikes.

I need help deciding. (For the purpose of this, price isn't a issue. Both bikes are within $100.00 of each other in terms of sale price)

So lets hear it, Niner RLT, or Cannondale SuperX? Thoughts?
  • ddraver
    I'd go for the carbon frame - but the niner is certainly better looking and has more cool points

The Cannondale is ever slightly more aggresive in terms of geometry...
    - @ddraver
  • A) So jealous how flipping cheap bikes are in the US

I was impressed that the Jamis Renegade Elite is the same price (RRP) as it is in the US.

Plenty of gravel fire roads and wind farm climbs in the Highlands. Gravel bike is the perfect machine for these roads.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Just an update for everyone... I went with the Niner RLT9 from Jenson. I just couldn't pass up a deal like that at that price.

Ill keep everyone updated on how i like the bike.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed!
  • If I'm reading it right, it comes with BB5 brakes. They'd be high on my list of upgrades - probably to one of TRP's modern offerings. If you don't do this, keep an eye on the adjusters because they can sieze - especially the rear one.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH