Glasses that don't fog

fatdaz
fatdaz Posts: 348
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm looking for some glasses with interchangeable lenses that don't fog up easily. I've got a big wide swede so I can't use anything too tight. I currently wear Salice 006 and I like them but I find as soon as I start putting in real effort at slow speeds they steam up. I'd love to be able to keep going fast enough to avoid them steaming up but up long climbs I can't manage it. Does anybody have recommendations for glasses with interchangeable lenses which are resistant to steaming up or is it just a case that they all steam up when you're really working hard

Comments

• inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    I'm looking for some glasses with interchangeable lenses that don't fog up easily. I've got a big wide swede so I can't use anything too tight. I currently wear Salice 006 and I like them but I find as soon as I start putting in real effort at slow speeds they steam up. I'd love to be able to keep going fast enough to avoid them steaming up but up long climbs I can't manage it. Does anybody have recommendations for glasses with interchangeable lenses which are resistant to steaming up or is it just a case that they all steam up when you're really working hard

Helmet with a visor? Casco Speedairo, for example, four different lenses and never fogs up.
  • fatdaz
    That might be a great shout, I hadn't even considered that.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    My Oakley radars only ever mist up in winter when I stop at traffic lights. I can just slip them a bit further down my nose and they clear.

Circulation of air is important. If you wear a cap it can hinder.
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491

Helmet with a visor? Casco Speedairo, for example, four different lenses and never fogs up.

Rule 35, folks.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    An old trick from my motorbike days was to dilute some washing up liquid with water and apply the liquid to the inside of the glasses and leave to dry.

Cheap and effective.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • I've got some stuff that divers use for the same issue. Bought from eBay and a smallish "dropper" pot has lasted forever.

But as per Slowmart, a very thin film of detergent or soap will also work. And, as Cougie says, getting ventilation right is important - nothing that fits too closely - especially to your brow. Personally, I've also found Oakley especially good. I believe it's these sorts of features that you pay for over and above cheaper glasses with which I've had far more issues.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • fatdaz
    Thanks for the responses. I've got no issue spending the additional money for Oakleys but I didn't want to buy them unless they are a genuine improvement on what I currently have. I don't care about the name of the look, just the function. If the consensus is that they're better because they are genuinely better, rather than just "the brand" to be seen in, I'll take a look
  • furrag
    furrag Posts: 481
    An old trick from my motorbike days was to dilute some washing up liquid with water and apply the liquid to the inside of the glasses and leave to dry.

Cheap and effective.
    +1
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Another vote for the washing up liquid on the inside of the glasses.
    Works wonders.