Orbea Avant M40?

hugoT
hugoT Posts: 4
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
Hello, today I went to a bike shop and bought an Orbea Avant M40 for a little under £1300. It is current being "made" to my specification in spain and will be ready in two week. I wasn't able to view the bike in person as it wasn't in stock.

The biggest reason for my purchase is because I need a new road bike for my charity ride from London to Paris next September. Has anyone got/used/know about this bike, and have anything to say about it? Would this bike be suitable for my ride from London to Paris? Any info would be appreciated.

Comments

• dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I think you should have asked this question before you ordered, not after.

The Avant is billed as a versatile road bike, so discs but it also has fittings for rim brakes as far as I remember. It also has mudguard eyelets etc.

I think when the bike was first advertised, it looked really interesting, but I think most people who are buying such a bike will never need the rim brake fittings and will just keep it on discs. I doubt if any other manufacturers will bother copying the USP of the Avant. Nice bike, though.

It's easily up to being ridden from London to Paris. But what will you do with it after?
  • hugoT
    I think you should have asked this question before you ordered, not after.

The Avant is billed as a versatile road bike, so discs but it also has fittings for rim brakes as far as I remember. It also has mudguard eyelets etc.

I think when the bike was first advertised, it looked really interesting, but I think most people who are buying such a bike will never need the rim brake fittings and will just keep it on discs. I doubt if any other manufacturers will bother copying the USP of the Avant. Nice bike, though.

It's easily up to being ridden from London to Paris. But what will you do with it after?

Thanks for your reply. I wish I had asked earlier! I definitely bought it on impulse :roll: . However, it does appear to be a great bike but cannot seem to find any reviews on it! I'm not particularly a competitive bike user, but I do enjoy traveling far distances to different towns.

Is the bike worth the £1300 price tag in your opinion or are there other bikes out there that can outperform this bike at that price?
  • dodgy
    I'm sure you'll be happy with it, it's a year round bike if you end up keeping at it.
  • The one weakness in spec is the FSA Omega chainset. Heavy, positively floppy and cheap looking. It's main crime is the bottom bracket, though. It's made of cheese, doesn't last a crack and is a unique size that no other manufacturing uses, so they have you over a barrel for replacement.

Rest of the bike looks quality, though. But get a better crank (Anything, really) and chuck that thing over the rainbow.

(Yes, I've had two of these in the past, a regular BSA version and a BB30. Both were complete pish, and despite weighing as much as a small moon, the spiders both bent. Hate then)
  • dodgy
    Just realised that the Avant doesn't necessarily have discs. That was their big idea when they released it a while back, seems now you can get rim braked version too.

I dunno, give up keeping track!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437

Is the bike worth the £1300 price tag in your opinion or are there other bikes out there that can outperform this bike at that price?

You can get more bang for your buck if you know what you're doing - going into a shop and buying a bike you've not seen is always going to be a bit of an odd strategy.

But the Orbea will be fine for what you want, and you've ordered it anyway - so just enjoy it.

It's only 300 miles - most bikes would be fine for that - it's your fitness that will make the difference.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    The one weakness in spec is the FSA Omega chainset. Heavy, positively floppy and cheap looking. It's main crime is the bottom bracket, though. It's made of cheese, doesn't last a crack and is a unique size that no other manufacturing uses, so they have you over a barrel for replacement.

Rest of the bike looks quality, though. But get a better crank (Anything, really) and chuck that thing over the rainbow.

(Yes, I've had two of these in the past, a regular BSA version and a BB30. Both were complete pish, and despite weighing as much as a small moon, the spiders both bent. Hate then)

^What a load of of rubbish you are talking^

I would just ignore that post and enjoy your new bike
  • Hardly rubbish. The crank is distinctly sub-par relative to the rest of the bike, and it's there instead of a better part purely to cut costs. It's the only crank in existence to use the 19mm axle standard, so it's only compatible with its own BB, which is massively overpriced in external guise and only available factory direct in the press-fit guise the OP will require. The rings are basic, and flex in a stiff breeze.

It'll do as a stop gap, but nothing more.
  • The 2016 version, which is probably what the OP bought (given this is full price), doesn't have an FSA chainset, but has Tiagra.

It also looks to be rim brakes only, that frame won't take discs: http://www.orbea.com/ie-en/bicycles/avant-m40/

It looks perfectly fine for a long distance ride, quite a 'comfortable' geometry, and you can always upgrade to better components if needs be, but the spec on there seems good, if not great. I suppose it depends on what you have been riding before of course.
  • hugoT

I will show your reply to the shop where I purchased the bike, and see what he suggests as an alternative.
    The 2016 version, which is probably what the OP bought (given this is full price), doesn't have an FSA chainset, but has Tiagra.

Yes it is the 2016 model you linked

From what I've been riding previously, this bike will be a dream I'm sure. Really excited to get out on it! Thanks for all your comments guys :D
  • If it's the 2016, then you're grand. Ride the life out of it!
  • nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    Look into the history of Orbea, and think of your bike as an expression of support for cooperative and community-based industry in a world where designs are outsourced to minimum wage factories where workers are doing 12-14 hour days.

(That's the romantic inside me looking to justify an Orbea in the future - plus, I love the Basque County)
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Look into the history of Orbea, and think of your bike as an expression of support for cooperative and community-based industry in a world where designs are outsourced to minimum wage factories where workers are doing 12-14 hour days.

(That's the romantic inside me looking to justify an Orbea in the future - plus, I love the Basque County)

I work at a factory in England (with english workers) where night shift do a 13 hour shift on minimum wage, everyone is happy, so what is your point?
  • nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231

I work at a factory in England (with english workers) where night shift do a 13 hour shift on minimum wage, everyone is happy, so what is your point?

Orbea is owned by the workers - they buy into the cooperative, all the profits are shared or invested back into the company.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/12/visiting-the-home-of-orbea-a-bike-brand-175-years-in-the-making/