Kinesis Racelight Disc wheelset
Shimano 105 Groupset
Shimano RS505 hydraulic brakes

4S_zpsztw1fqup.jpg

Comments

• Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Nice.

Sorely tempted by one of these. Reckon it could replace both my summer and winter bikes. What size is it, out of interest?
  • 51cm. Virtual TT 54cm, actual 53cm.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Nice. Front mudguard about 8 inches too short, though :)
  • Nice. Front mudguard about 8 inches too short, though :)

Yep, front and rear flaps already in plan!
  • Shifters don't look quite right somehow? Are they rotated forward too much?
  • Shifters don't look quite right somehow? Are they rotated forward too much?

Just the angle of the photo.
  • KoenM
    KoenM Posts: 95
    Shifters don't look quite right somehow? Are they rotated forward too much?

they are hydraulic 105's, and they look (sorry to say) sh*t. They missed the ball on that a bit, to bad i like their normal design alot.
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Must be the angle of the photo but those bars look like an elephant has sat on them.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I would love one of these to replace my T2. Great bike.
  • I've been waiting for someone to post a build of the disc version since I saw it at the The Cycle Show in September.

I priced up a build myself and it was coming out at about £1,400 and that included Hydraulic 105's.

I never pulled the plug in the end as I came to the conclusion rightly or wrongly that it might be worth waiting for the disc brake and thru axle standards to settle down over the course of 2016. That's probably incredibly naive of me :roll:

How much was the build out of interest?
    "One thing that is worse than Carlton Kirby: people complaining about Carlton Kirby.

Talk about first world problems."

The_Boy, 13/4/14, Paris-Roubaix 2014 "spoiler" thread
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I never pulled the plug in the end as I came to the conclusion rightly or wrongly that it might be worth waiting for the disc brake and thru axle standards to settle down over the course of 2016. That's probably incredibly naive of me :roll:
    I think it's much less of an issue than people think. My Pro6 is QR, there are millions of bikes with quick release and disc brakes so parts will be available for a long time. When I built the wheels for my MTB I wanted bolt through as I believe it makes more of a difference with suspension forks. I used Novatec hubs with changeable end caps so the wheels can be used on either bike with a change of end caps which takes seconds. Neither bike will be obsolete based on front hubs though.
    The UCI allowing discs to be trialled in racing next year will bring things nearer to an accepted standard for those that are worried. I think I read that the rumour is they have gone bolt through as the standard.
  • That is a very handsome bike!
    I think they are the best of both worlds- being able to serve as a crit bike or winter hack as needed- I particularly like you can run either callipers or disks.
    One of those frames would be my first port of call if my current frame gives up.

And I love that shade of blue 8)
  • vectra0
    vectra0 Posts: 128
    Hey quick question. :-)
    I'm just doing a build myself in this bike.
    Are you use 160mm front rotor and 140mm rear?
    Also I'm guessing you had to bend the stays on the front mud guard to fit in in that funny placed mounting point?
    Any reason that they have put it there on the fork?
    Seems odd...
    Thanks
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    vectra0 wrote:
    Also I'm guessing you had to bend the stays on the front mud guard to fit in in that funny placed mounting point?
    Seems odd...
    Thanks

Hi vectra0. I built one up earlier this year. I'm running 160 front and 140 rear with br-805. You just flip the bracket that they supply with the bike depending on what you have.

And yes you do have to bend the front stays on any mudguards. There is a blog post on the kinesis website about it. In practice it is very easy to do. I'm guessing it is so there are no clearance issues with the calipers.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • dodgy wrote:

Do you guys not get issues with toe overlap from long guards? Just about every bike I've ridden with guards has been an issue. Feet are size 10 and cleat position was meticulously done by Sherritt at Bike Whisperer (anybody that's had it done will know what I mean).
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • vectra0
    vectra0 Posts: 128
    MrSweary wrote:
    vectra0 wrote:
    Seems odd...
    Thanks

Hi vectra0. I built one up earlier this year. I'm running 160 front and 140 rear with br-805. You just flip the bracket that they supply with the bike depending on what you have.

And yes you do have to bend the front stays on any mudguards. There is a blog post on the kinesis website about it. In practice it is very easy to do. I'm guessing it is so there are no clearance issues with the calipers.

Thanks for this.
    the build is nearly complete, just waiting for the rest of the frame bits that kinesis forgot to send out!
    The front guards were 'fun' but now ive 'mastered' it ;-)
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    dodgy wrote:

Do you guys not get issues with toe overlap from long guards? Just about every bike I've ridden with guards has been an issue. Feet are size 10 and cleat position was meticulously done by Sherritt at Bike Whisperer (anybody that's had it done will know what I mean).

There is some toe overlap but I've never felt it was a problem. I guess I don't ever turn tightly enough!
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.