Looking for a new bike..

Joshiew
Joshiew Posts: 3
edited January 2016 in MTB beginners
I've currently got a Cube Attention, it's a bit battered, squeaky forks, crank is on its way out etc. I've got about £400 to spend, looking to buy something second hand and I just need a bit of advice. I'm currently looking at this bike http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gary-Fisher-Hoo-Koo-E-Koo-2010-Used-Great-Condition-Size-17-5-Medium-/321942552525? but not too sure if it's any good, I just like the look of it.

Please could anyone suggest a good bike to look out for or if I should go ahead and bid on that bike and a rough estimate of price to pay for it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    I've currently got a Cube Attention, it's a bit battered, squeaky forks, crank is on its way out etc. I've got about £400 to spend, looking to buy something second hand and I just need a bit of advice. I'm currently looking at this bike http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gary-Fisher-Hoo-Koo-E-Koo-2010-Used-Great-Condition-Size-17-5-Medium-/321942552525? but not too sure if it's any good, I just like the look of it.

Please could anyone suggest a good bike to look out for or if I should go ahead and bid on that bike and a rough estimate of price to pay for it.

Thanks in advance.

I dont think we are allowed to give valuations . Its a re-badged trek, but thats not a bad thing in its self. it fairly well speced, but I wouldnt go much more than it is now
  • Okay, thanks for your input, Brian.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yeah cracking big advice - you should get what I got and as I have a website I clearly know what I'm talking about.
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    Beginners for Mountain Bikes; Hard Tail compared to Full Suspension Bikes

Mountain bikes are great for leisure and are also a great way of keeping healthy and having some fun outdoors. There are two main types of mountain bikes, hard-tail mountain bikes and full suspension mountain bikes. Hard tail mountain bikes are designed specifically for the woods and on the road. Hard tail mountain bikes have the benefit of being quicker, lighter and easier to use.

Now Full Suspension mountain bikes have suspension to absorb more shock than hard tail bikes. They are a little more difficult to use, however are great going down hill, therefore more suited to extreme riding because hard tales don’t have any rear suspension, so they are normally easier to look after, lighter and not as expensive.

The shock absorber at the rear means the shocks are passed from the terrain to your bike. This can cause it easier to get one of those dreaded puncture’s and are more hard to ride. The grip of hard tail bike will struggle to grip on rough terrain because the rear wheel will glide over the ground. Hard trail normally use 26in wheels, although the 27.5in is becoming increasing popular.

Which is the best hard tails mountain bike for you?

Cross-country hard tails- are designed to cover long distances either for leisure purposes or for competition. They are equipped with a fork lockout to allow it easier to go over smooth ground with using 80 to 120mm forks with travel. The more expensive bikes will use carbon fibre to reduce weight.

Trail Hard tails- can cover large distances, however more commonly are used for leisure purposes. Trail hard tails, for example the Saacen Zen use suspension forks which have longer travel usually between 120-150mm to help you have more control over tough terrain. In comparison to cross country Hard tails, are heavier but use stronger frames and equipmen,t which makes them ideal for dirt tracks and tough train.

Dirt Jump Bikes- are specifically designed to spend as much time in the air as possible. They are designed with a low frame that makes it easier to perform tricks as it allows masses of clearance. They aren’t designed for long distances, they are more commonly used for a tougher more durable ride.

Full Suspension Mountain Bikes- allows you to ride off road more easily and comfortable, than a hard tail mountain bike. A full suspension mountain bike is designed with a suspension fork at the front and a shock absorber at the rear; therefore it can travel more easily over tough terrain because of the full suspension. It therefore makes it easier to explore more adventurers’ terrain.

Cross Country- full suspension 100mm with the lightest using carbon fibre,
    There are designed to add a little bit of comfort while riding over bumps, and not stopping the efficiency of pedalling. They are designed to be ridden the same speed uphill and downhill.

Trail Full suspension bike-s normally use between 120-mm, now compared to cross country bikes it will let you travel over tougher terrain with greater stability and control at higher speeds. The frames can come in steel, aluminium and carbon fibre. There are one of the most common bike used at trail centres.

All Mountains (AM/Enduro)- are used for aggressive trails, drops and jumps and higher speeds. They’re heavier than trail bikes, and are designed to handle tougher terrain. In order to increase stability, they are longer than trail and cross bikes, will use wider handles to help steer. If you want to explore tougher terrain, this may be the best bike for you.

Downhill- full suspension is designed specifically with strength and durability with weight being less of an issue. The suspension travel jumps which help the bike take bigger jumps and drops. More inexpensive use coil sprung shock while more expensive models use air spring units. If you enjoy riding downhill with gravity and taking on mountains this may be the best bike for you.

Have a look at our product reviews of mountain and Cycling bikes. http://www.madforitcyclist.co.uk/collections/all

There Are plenty of these online, so please stop posting these everywhere especially since it is way too general for the average Thread. Also, don't advertise.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    Also the worst guide ever
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    It sounds like it was written by someone who had only ever heard about mountain biking from their friends

" Hard trail normally use 26in wheels"

.....good one
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • That's quite possibly the worst article ever! lol
    My 9 y/o could probably write something better than that.