New member with some questions...

Clifftop
Clifftop Posts: 4
edited December 2015 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I am intending to get myself fitter and hopefully recover from a recent episode of a DVT and Pulmonary Embolisms (Blood clots).

The doctors tell me cycling would be very beneficial.
I already own a Trek 7.0 fx hybrid that has done a couple of dozen miles. It is a 25"/63.5cm frame.

I'd like to know if I have it set up properly and if not, how to do so.

I am 6' 5" tall and weigh around 140 kilos (Yes, I know.... you didn't realise Trek made bikes from scaffold tube...).

I've read the thread on tyre pressures, the tyres on my bike suggest between 60 and 95 psi. I have about 85 in them both.

I'd like any advice you might think would be useful and any other comments or questions are welcome.

Thank you,
Cliff.

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    35 mm tyres and 85 PSI will be harsh..., but if you feel well there is nothing against it.
    Too bumpy? > lower to 70-65...

No rocket science, trial and better.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    Enjoy yourself - find nice routes or places to go so you enjoy the ride
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I reckon the pressure will be ok given your weight.
    I had a DVT in 2008, it's never held me back as far as I'm aware but I'd be more wary with a PE. Just take it easy for first few months, enjoy yourself. See some new places.
    Best of luck :)
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Hi all,

I am intending to get myself fitter and hopefully recover from a recent episode of a DVT and Pulmonary Embolisms (Blood clots).

The doctors tell me cycling would be very beneficial.
    I already own a Trek 7.0 fx hybrid that has done a couple of dozen miles. It is a 25"/63.5cm frame.

I'd like to know if I have it set up properly and if not, how to do so.

I am 6' 5" tall and weigh around 140 kilos (Yes, I know.... you didn't realise Trek made bikes from scaffold tube...).

I've read the thread on tyre pressures, the tyres on my bike suggest between 60 and 95 psi. I have about 85 in them both.

I'd like any advice you might think would be useful and any other comments or questions are welcome.

Thank you,
    Cliff.

Don't over think it. If the bike is running fine with those pressures then stick with it. In general you need to run enough pressure to avoid pinch flats (if you hit something like a curb the tube can get trapped between the rim and tyre and tear) generally if you're heavier you need to run slightly higher pressures to compensate.

But the most important thing is to ride, lots and lots. And put some oil on your chain from time to time.