Outstanding customer service - The Cycle Clinic

jordan_217
jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
I'll start by saying that I have no affiliation to this shop/person, other than being a returning customer.

Earlier this year I purchased a set of wheels from Malcolm @ The Cycle Clinic. Kinlin XC279's built on Miche Primato hubs. The wheels were a revelation and far better than their modest price tag would suggest. I used them for training, racing and also completed the Paris-Roubaix challenge on them too. They were faultless. With regret I sold those wheels with a bike.

After being so impressed with my initial purchase I contacted Malcolm again. After a quick chat I settled on a similar build to the Kinlins, the Borg 31 and again with Miche Primato hubs. The wheels were delivered within the promised 2 week lead time and I was really impressed with them, until....

These wheels are tubeless compatible but for the life of me I couldn't fit a traditional clincher on to the rim. I tried every trick I knew. I tried 4 different tyres and I could *just* fit a Conti GP 4 Season to one of the wheels but I coudn't easily remove it. I contacted Malcolm, who immediately sent over a little 'how to' guide via email but despite using his little 'tricks' I couldn't seat the tyres. By this point I had no confidence that even if I could fit the tyres I would be able to change a flat when I was out on the road (my thumbs were also bleeding).

Malcolm quickly offered to send (free of charge) a VAR tyre lever and thinner rim tape over but I think he could also sense my frustration. Being a made to order product I wasn't sure how the "Can I return the wheels?" question would be received. I hope Malcolm doesn't mind me posting this but when I did ask the question, the response was (directly from an email):

"I don’t like it when customers have trouble. Let me know what you want me to do and I will do it"

I was hoping to buy another set of (race) wheels in the Spring but thought I'd just forget that idea and get one good set capable of doing everything I wanted. After (another) chat with Malcolm, I settled on the Pacenti SL23's (V2) built on DA hubs. Malcolm happily took my order and allowed me to pay the price difference, with the added bonus of also reimbursing me with the return shipping cost of the wheels.

True to his word the wheels arrived within a week and the quality is exceptional. I'm really pleased with the build and can't wait to ride them on Saturday. I'm sure I won't be disappointed. (I also found fitting tyres much easier on these too :D )

Yes, I'm sure some others could have fitted those tyres and Malcolm probably did it within 5 minutes of having the wheels returned but the point is that I couldn't and Malcolm did his best to ensure I was a satisfied customer.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend buying from Malcolm/The Cycle Clinic. Not only has he demonstrated he's great to deal with during the sales part of the deal but he also knows how to back it up with great after sales service too. He can also build a nice set of wheels!
“Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”

Comments

• matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    Great post, great outcome.
    Thanks for sharing

Matt
  • Nice one Malcom 8)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Got my frame from him too. Back up what you say completely!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I don't mind at all. The problem I have I am too bloody good a fitting tyres so what I think is doable is too hard for some.

Those var RP42500 tyre levers Jordan mentioned are really very good at getting tighter tyres on. If you having trouble with tight tyres i would recommend these. I found out about them after struggling with a tight tyre rim combo that nearly defeated me ( I had to resort to the big park metal levers which can mark rims). Bought a set of them and the tyres where on quickly and easily. These levers are reviewed here and this article is what prompted me to give them a go. I use them when mounting tubeless road tyres to kinlin, pacenti and other tubeless road rims. It make easy work of these tight combo's.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/tools/cycling-tools/tyre-levers/product/review-var-tools-rp42500-tyre-tool-11-44397/
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Been using those levers for years - simply the best there is imo. Malcolm put a wheel together for me a while back. His build and guarantee would always make me recommend him
    M.Rushton
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    BORG31 is that Kinlin XR31T rim?
  • For those who have got handbuilt wheels, is there a price point, where it;s not worth getting them if you're below it? (i.e less than £200/£300 etc then getting mass produced stuff is better, by it's nature?)
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Below about £250 a wheel builder is going to build compromises first will be weight. Below 150 quid a wheel builder is building at cost or a loss or is building rubbish.

Lots of people call the kinlin rims different things. The kinlin name does not sell you could call it the dolls house 31 and it would sell better than the kinlin XR31t. Look on forums and folk complain right left and centre about poor quality of various kinlin rims but never about superstar, halo e.t.c and guess what all these are.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.