Is the Fizik R1 'that' good?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,877
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
Morning all,

I have a fair few Arione CX's on my bikes, and noticed the R1, but discounted it as wasn't impressed by the black or white options they come in.

A banner ad on here reminded me that you can make your own custom saddles, and I then saw I could spec one with yellow centre section, wing flex, and rear protection area, plus with black lettering, pretty much my perfect saddle.

Thing is I almost have this colourway already with an off the shelf carbon railed Arione CX, that was around £110, weight is identical I think.

So is it worth it for the R1 over an Arione CX, or should I save my £200?

Just to add, I am a bit of a Fizik Fan boy, using their bar tape, and saddle bags too.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I am also an Arione user and have just got an R1, but only because it was the best colour carbon railed Arione option for the bike.

If there was a lower model in the same colour I would probably have gone with that, but now I have it I love the shape, which looks a lot sexier than the CX's on my other bikes.

Have not had the chance to ride it yet unfortunately though so cannot help much on that front I am afraid.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,877
    I am also an Arione user and have just got an R1, but only because it was the best colour carbon railed Arione option for the bike.

If there was a lower model in the same colour I would probably have gone with that, but now I have it I love the shape, which looks a lot sexier than the CX's on my other bikes.

Have not had the chance to ride it yet unfortunately though so cannot help much on that front I am afraid.

Did you go stock or custom?

Stock is only black or white no?

With the exchange rate and lack of discounts on the saddles, it's surprisingly not ridiculoulsy more to customise a design as opposed to buying off the shelf.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited December 2015
    I got the stock black one as it matches the bike perfectly.

Its matt black, the centre section looks dark grey in the light, and has Gloss black lettering.
    The bike is matt black with dark grey branding and a few glossy bits. DA hoods are matt black and dark grey with glossy levers too.

I Paid about £140 for it so maybe about the same as a list price custom lower model in the same colour.
    Also, it meant I could see it on the bike before buying.

Wiggle have 27% off an R1
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    yes
    Colnago Addict!