Which tubeless setup

hazzy87
hazzy87 Posts: 26
edited December 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello guys,
I am looking at moving to a tubeless setup on my 29er hard tail. I have a budget of approximately £250 for wheels.
Any recommendations on what wheelset to buy? Or should I buy rims and hubs separate and have them built for a free by a friend?
Thanks!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or just use gorilla tape on your existing wheels?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cheers
    I was think about doing that to the wheelset I already have. They are the standard giant p-xc2 with Maxxis ikon evo 2.2's .
    However I would like a new set that I could use for just race's alone?
  • The Rookie
    For a race wheelset then lightweight is key, I'd say build your own.

26" but with some time and patience I put together some 1430g wheels for £180 using all new parts.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • When choosing you rim just make sure that it has a good groove for the tyre to sit into. It makes a big difference to the tubeless fit and burping. If you can also get a welded rim that is even better as a pinned rim can leak at the join. Just bare it in mind when choosing you wheel build.
  • The Rookie
    Typical milesuk ill informed post, ignore.

You don't want a good groove as it makes initiate inflation harder, hence why stans rims have a shallow groove, rim tape means the welded versus pinned is irrelevant.