Old vs new

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited December 2015 in MTB general
Rob Warner doing back to back timed runs on a 2015 Glory and an old ATX1996 Giant ATX One vs 2015 Giant Glory https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.pinkbike.com/news/giant-atx-1-vs-glory-rob-warner-2015.html&ved=0ahUKEwjVgI6r5MvJAhUGWBQKHQ8YCmUQFggbMAA&usg=AFQjCNHsWcr3dI9kE-VU7X4vCxq26ppLxQ&sig2=KwGQEJ5CuME9CmU0Woe12g

Surprisingly close when you consider the ATX is too small and has ten year old tyres which will have gone hard. Just having a bike the right size would make up at least half that difference.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    I would like to see it done again with a large or XL ATX and some tyres in decent conditions.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    19 years of development and only 11 sec ahead?!

What a rip off!!!

Marketing rules....

Maybe not quite the test but looks like the industry is a lot of fuff and not much work
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    11 seconds is the difference between winning and nowhere.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Five seconds max if it was the right size.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So still an hour or two quicker than I could get down on anything except an avalanche.

And I don't mean a crappy GT.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    The Rookie wrote:

Some people race occationally others don't, at all. So 11 secs is of little importance for common people, considering the cost of a new bike.
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    Actually quite often in the dh world cup you'll still place well 11seconds back from the leader
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • Not that often though.
  • rockmonkeysc
    11 seconds is a lot in a DH race. That far back you're unlikely to finish in a good place.
    In a lot of races there's about 10 seconds covering half the category.
  • And think as some of the tracks push near 5 minutes so longer track more time for it to stack up.
  • The guy is also a pro. Would suspect that a more forgiving bike would make a lot more than 11 seconds to an absolute novice such as myself :)
  • rockmonkeysc
    Rob Warner was a pro a long time ago, he's no quicker than a decent amateur racer these days.
    A modern bike will be more forgiving of bad riding and mistakes but I suspect that someone not used to a downhill bike may find the old bike easier to ride because the geometry is closer to a modern trail bike. Downhill bikes only really work properly if you're riding like your arse is on fire, otherwise they feel sluggish and awkward.