Switching cassettes

siddy1972
siddy1972 Posts: 180
edited December 2015 in Workshop
Looking for some advice on the downsides of setting up a bike with a chain that's a bit too long...my idea is that I'm going to run my bike most of the time with a 12-25 cassette. There's going to be the odd time when I'll want to swap it out with an 11-28, so my question is, what am I going to lose in my 'usual' setup, given that the chain will probably be a couple of links too long? The chainrings are 50/34 if that makes any difference.
Thanks.

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I'm not sure why you would bother - on one cassette run it the proper length, when you want to use the bigger cassette and want a longer chain pop a KMC link in to lengthen it.

Anyhow, dependent on the mileage you do, the chain may not work with the spare cassette due to wear,stretching and all that good stuff.

Why not just buy a spare KMC chain for £12 (or indeed a Shimaon one like I did for the turbo trainer discounted to a fiver at CRC) and use that with the spare cassette - 30 seconds to change over when need when using the KMC easy to remove links and no worries about lengths, etc.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthew, I have a similar situation, but in my case usually run 11-28 and sometimes swap to 12-23. I have chain length determined by 11-28, which runs fine when I swap.

No reason why you couldn't run your 12-25 cassette on a chain length determined by the 11-28. It'll be a couple of links longer than you mostly need, but will run sweet on the 12-25 (just like on the 11-28, but without using extreme cogs), and will have the capacity for when you put the 11-28 in.

Good luck whatever you decide. Cheers, John.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    That's not going to work anyway - the regular use chain and cassette will wear so if you switch to a different cassette you'll probably get slipping.

Best bet is to keep a chain and cassette and swap those. If it was me I'd just put the 11-28 on all the time - it doesn't feel that different and saves all the hassle.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    If it was me I'd just put the 11-28 on all the time - it doesn't feel that different and saves all the hassle.

Actually, the really nice benefit of swapping cassettes and chains is that hopefully it encourages you to clean them properly once off the bike. I do find though that a smaller cassette, when appropriate, is nicer than the wider range ones.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    That's not going to work anyway - the regular use chain and cassette will wear so if you switch to a different cassette you'll probably get slipping.

Best bet is to keep a chain and cassette and swap those. If it was me I'd just put the 11-28 on all the time - it doesn't feel that different and saves all the hassle.

Yeah, that sounds good.

Oh.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Looking for some advice on the downsides of setting up a bike with a chain that's a bit too long...my idea is that I'm going to run my bike most of the time with a 12-25 cassette. There's going to be the odd time when I'll want to swap it out with an 11-28, so my question is, what am I going to lose in my 'usual' setup, given that the chain will probably be a couple of links too long? The chainrings are 50/34 if that makes any difference.
    Thanks.
    As long as you do not use excessively worn chains or cassettes there is no downside.