Late May next year - Southern French Alps or Dolomites?

The Kennington Kaiser
edited December 2015 in Tour & expedition
I'm planning a trip with a few mates for some mountain riding in the last week of May next year, with a view to taking in a stage of the Giro too. At this stage, the two options are the Southern French Alps, based in, or near Guillestre, and the Dolomites, based near the Passo Fedaia/Passo Giau.

Obviously the weather can be a bit fickle this time of year in the mountains, but I wanted people's experience of riding the high passes in the two areas. Are the passes nearby all open in late May? In the case of the Alps it would be Col d'Izoard, Col Agnel, Col de Vars - and in the Dolomites, Passo Duran, Giau, Fedaia, the Sella Ring, Valparola. Because of their height I think the Agnel and Vars are both normally open later but with the Giro passing over them then surely they'll be kept open?

I realise there's an element of pot luck, and the harshness of the winter will determine how much snow hangs around but I just want to ensure we don't get there and can only ride up a handful of climbs. Thanks.

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    As far as the Dolomites are concerned you should be fine. The Giro d'Italia is due to pass through the week before. But as you say, the weather can be iffy at that time of year. This was the scene at the arrival of the Giro at the Rifugio d'Auronzo (2330m) on the 25 May 2013

giro%20ditalia%20per%20sito.jpg