Profile design products??

irvs
irvs Posts: 204
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi everyone I'm looking at upgrading my bars and also adding clip on Tri aero extension bars.
I've been looking at "profile design" clip on Tri bars and noticed a lot of other products they make I'd like.

Has anyone any experience with their products?? Sadly I can't use carbon bars as its recommended against their use when adding clip on Tri bars.

Thanks Neil.

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Not that impressed - some of their bolts are more like cheese than metal. THere is better value out there.

Also they do that saddle bottle holder that always falls off too.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Some carbon handlebars state they're ok for clip on tri-bars, but not many, so always make sure. If you aren't 100% about a bar don't buy it, and an alloy bar is always fine.

By limiting yourself to carbon bars that allow clip ons you are restricting your choice, and compromising the bar shape and dimensions you want in order to have a carbon bar would be daft.

Carbon bars don't often save weight, but shapes can be more ergonomic/aero in most cases, road buzz can be reduced too (road buzz is the only reason I went for them on one of my bikes, and it reduced it just as I wanted... this doesn't mean the same will happen with every carbon bar though although it is more likely than not but also depends on the alloy bar you are coming from).

As far as Profile Design's clip on bars go, they are pretty good in my experience, it's down to whether the shape and dimensions suit you as well as the arm rests (which aren't the most 'cupped' of designs).
  • Profile used to be a huge brand in tri bars in pro road cycling, but they've all but disappeared from the WorldTour. I'm not a huge fan of their current designs. I really like Vision clip ons, they aren't the most adjustable and you can't have the extensions aloft of the base bar, but the clamp design is good, the stack height is low, and they aren't too heavy.
  • irvs
    irvs Posts: 204
    Thanks for the replays, I've seen their new products being reviewed and seemed to get good results, I had a quick research at their older products which sounded like they preformed well.

Just seeing if real people had used their products and thought much of them. Any other brands I should check out???

Cheers Neil.