Dropper Post for XC Hardtail?

gcwebbyuk
gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
edited December 2015 in MTB general
Is a dropper post on an XC hardtail overkill?

I currently run a Thomson post with a QR, and am tempted by the Thomson dropper.

I mainly ride XC on the south downs way, but also plan on riding more local trails.

Is it overkill or a worthwhile addition? Would it add a lot more weight?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I wouldn't go for the Thompson, it's not got the best reliability record.
    If you want a dropper then go for it.
  • Definitely go for a dropper post. The weight will be in the centre of the bike so you will not notice it when riding and you will gain a lot more instant freedom on the trails. The best post around is still the rockshox reverb but if you can get the stealth version. Also if you are running a single chainring up front and not left hand shifter buy the right hand reverb. This means you can then fit it upside-down next to your left hand brake lever tucking it neatly out of the way.
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    I'm hopefully going to ride Dalby Forest red route over the Xmas break, so will try that with the QR and see how much I actually move my seatpost up/down.

Id more than likely stick with the Thomson just because I am a bike tart and currently have Thomson stem/bars/seat post...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My bike is decidedly XC biased, I usually run with a fixed post using a QR but also have a crotch dropper (so no remote or cable/hose to fiddle with) which I fit for more aggressive riding days....best of both worlds perhaps?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.