Tyre levers var rp42500/lezyne alloy

xixang
xixang Posts: 235
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
Having snapped another set of levers getting a tyre off (zonda rim/Michelin lithion tyre) I'm now looking for something a bit more robust than the standard tacx ones or bendy Michelin ones I had before.

Came across some lezyne alloy ones http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-alloy-tyre-levers/ which will be strong but a little concerned over rim damage. A bit pricey for levers but will last a life time. I also quite fancy the var ones http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/var-tyre-levers-prod27539 due to the ability to lever a tight tyre on aS well but they are still nylon and probably as likely to snap as any other nylon one such as tacx they will be replacing.

Anyone got any views on either of these two levers? Or another alternative that's up to the job

Comments

• No idea about the Lezyne ones but the Var ones you link to (and I have) are more about getting a tight fitting tyre onto a rim than off. The Park tool levers are pretty sturdy I've several sets and not been able to snap one yet
  • I don't have fancy wheels (Khamsins) but people that do suggested Pedros levers which I have used without any issues on a number of occasions. They feel sturdy to me so might be worth a go, I got them from eBay for about a fiver.
  • xixang
    No idea about the Lezyne ones but the Var ones you link to (and I have) are more about getting a tight fitting tyre onto a rim than off. The Park tool levers are pretty sturdy I've several sets and not been able to snap one yet

How are the vars for removing tyres or haven't you tried?

Crank bros speedier levers are anothEr option
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I've got three of the black plastic Campagnolo tyre levers (just Google that). Absolutely brilliant and stronger than anything else that I have ever used. I reckon you would have to try really hard to break one and, for plastic of some sort, they don't even bend much. At nearly £4 each they are hardly cheap but IMHO worth every penny.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • xixang
    I've got three of the black plastic Campagnolo tyre levers (just Google that). Absolutely brilliant and stronger than anything else that I have ever used. I reckon you would have to try really hard to break one and, for plastic of some sort, they don't even bend much. At nearly £4 each they are hardly cheap but IMHO worth every penny.
    s
    R
    These? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-tyre-lever/
  • cadseen
    cadseen Posts: 170
    edited December 2015
    Ive broke a few plastic levers recently, in my case they were so old they may have gone brittle.
    Might try the campag ones.
  • ayjaycee
    Spot on. They are a bit cheaper than I said earlier - still pricey but still very much worth it.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Zondas (and most modern Campag wheels) can be a real tight fit with tyres.
    The only tyre lever I've ever found that won't snap is the Crank Brothers speedier. Expensive though.
  • ayjaycee
    The only tyre lever I've ever found that won't snap is the Crank Brothers speedier. Expensive though.

If you include those badged Fulcrum in 'modern Campag wheels' (they are the same company), I have got Fulcrum Racing 5LGs (the 2015 version). Yes, they are tight with my 25mm Conti GP 4 Seasons but the Campag levers that I referred to earlier are well up to the job and I haven't managed to break one yet. The Mavic Aksiums on my other bike are similarly easy with the same tyres. That said, I really don't know how they compare with the Crank offering as I haven't used them.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • xixang

If you include those badged Fulcrum in 'modern Campag wheels' (they are the same company), I have got Fulcrum Racing 5LGs (the 2015 version). Yes, they are tight with my 25mm Conti GP 4 Seasons but the Campag levers that I referred to earlier are well up to the job and I haven't managed to break one yet. The Mavic Aksiums on my other bike are similarly easy with the same tyres. That said, I really don't know how they compare with the Crank offering as I haven't used them.

Interestingly I've ordered both the speedier level and campag lever to use in combo so hopefully should be fine.

I've had neutrons, older zonda said and several fulcrum variants before but nothing as bad as current combo. That tight I struggled to get the lever lip under the tyre. All levers snapped on the lip. I don't think the fact the wheels are two way fit(tubed/tubeless) helps. Didn't order two way but that's what got delivered and cba returning