Is this enough clearance above the top of fork steerer?

odessouky
odessouky Posts: 264
edited December 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Cheerio

still experimenting with different stems on my bike. Is this enough clearance between the top of the fork and the headset nut?

Can't feel the front wheel being limited?

Is it too close?

IMG_4263.jpg

IMG_4264.jpg

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Looks a bit marginal between the top of the steerer and stem.

Once it all pulls together that might disappear.

I'd add at least about another 2 or 3mm of spacers.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Way too short. Most top caps have a ledge that would sit on the top of that steerer as it is now and prevent it from applying any pressure on the top of the stem.
  • Thanks guys
    If I swap a 2mm spacer from below the stem to above it...would that be ok?
    That's won't change my position much? Would it?
    Thanks
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Yes, 2mm above will be fine.
  • cooldad
    No because if you swap it from below to on top, the top is still going to be in the same place. You need to add a spacer.

I would put it on the bottom. I'll only put spacers on top if there's a decent amount of steerer showing, or there's nothing to stop them sliding. No idea whether they would or not, but my head tells me it could go wrong.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • No because if you swap it from below to on top, the top is still going to be in the same place. You need to add a spacer.

I would put it on the bottom. I'll only put spacers on top if there's a decent amount of steerer showing, or there's nothing to stop them sliding. No idea whether they would or not, but my head tells me it could go wrong.

Of course... what an idiot...!!

Yeah...I meant add a 2 mm spacer BELOW..!! thanks..

I looked around in my stuff today, and could only find some Carbon FSA spacers that I had for my road bike...

Is it OK to add carbon spacers on aluminum steerer? I replaced all my stock 4 aluminum spacers with a couple of carbon ones...and there is more clearnace now...pls let me know if that looks OK now?

And by the way, looking at how the steerer's bolt cap sits on the steerer (it sits ABOVE the stem edges), am I right in thinking that it wouldn't have mattered anyway, as the cap sits flush ON TOP of the stem, and would never touch the top of the steerer?

Thanks

thumb_IMG_4296_1024.jpg

1587645a-4792-4933-923b-1bb50b23b92d.jpg

ab9f35ac-16b3-4bb2-bd89-629ce5f12c0f.jpg

thumb_IMG_4306_1024.jpg
  • cooldad
    Looks much better. Carbon will be fine.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Add a headset spacer on top. it will not move or effect safety. Or find a flat headset cap.
  • cooldad
    Add a headset spacer on top. it will not move or effect safety. Or find a flat headset cap.
    Presumably you missed most of the thread?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's a normal milesuk post, read first post and comment, why waste time reading all the other posts!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.