Titanium speedplay axels.

paulc33
paulc33 Posts: 254
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
Been looking at getting some titanium axels for my speedplay pedals.

Seen you can get some on eBay for about £30.
Has any one bought these are they any good or are they cheap and flex a lot or fit poorly.

These are the ones I've been looking at.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/251819068578

Or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/301084487418
2015 Specialized S-Works Tarmac - Ultegra Di2 (7.0kg)
Kinesis Aithein - Ultegra mechanical (7.3kg)
Kinesis Maxlight Xc130 - xt/ xtr (11.3kg)

spin to win!

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Been a fair bit on weight weenies about these. No problems reported and I'm considering some myself.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • paulc33
    Which would you go for or are they both the same??

spin to win!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Whichever one you click on first, both have good feedback.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I have two pairs of the J&L versions. One of them are the gold-coloured titanium-nitrided versions and the other are gunmetal-coloured silicon-nitrided. Both spindles have been totally reliable and I've been riding on them all year. I'm light though, at under 60kg. I probably wouldn't use them if I were more than 90kg, just to err on the side of caution.
  • paulc33
    I'm about 76kg so hopefully would be OK. I see the j&l are the same length as standard the rockbros ones I understand are shorter than standard length.

Looking the black j&l spindles seem alright.

spin to win!
  • DKay
    Speedplay's official Ti spindles are 50mm, which is 3mm shorter than their steel versions. I'm pretty sure that the J&L Ti spindles are also 50mm.
  • I have 2 sets of J&l ones that i've used for the past 2 years and not had a single problem from them. Well worth the money if you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks for delivery. I also think i got mine through an auction on ebay for around £15 delivered so that option may be worth checking
  • I have a set of the J&Ls and they seem fine. I am not a weight weenie, I just have a Ti framed bike and it would be rude not to have Ti spindles :-)
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I have two sets of J&L; both have been fine. 80kg rider.

I also bought some Ti butterflies and bolts; takes a few grams out, seems not affect performance.

Rulla Bearings sometimes has them in stock if you want to deal with a UK vendor, but the shipping performance of "liukang1985" on eBay has so far been exemplary.

A pair of CroMos with J&L spindles, butterflies and bolts is some way lighter than the standard Ti pedal for about half the price.
  • paulc33
    I have bought some J&L spindles from "liukang1985".
    If they are good then will buy another set for the winter bike and over hall the bearings in them as well as they have seen better days.

How quickly do you get his deliveries normally?

spin to win!
  • DKay
    Ranges from a week to just over a fortnight in my experience. Get your bearings from Rulla Bearings as mentioned above. I bought the full rebuild kit and did the needle bearings at the same time.