Canyon Spectral 8.9 2016 (29er)

Kingzolo
Kingzolo Posts: 52
edited December 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys i just saw that Canyon put up another Spectral in their lineup - A 29er as the only one apparently.

What do u guys think about it?

Comments

• Forgot the paste the link: https://www.canyon.com/mtb/spectral/spectral-al-8-9.html

I think maybe they should have made the HA a bit more slack
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Looks like most Canyons. Generic frame with nice bits bolted to it. Nothing special.
    Geometry looks average for its intended purpose.
    I wouldn't buy one.
  • Looks like most Canyons. Generic frame with nice bits bolted to it. Nothing special.
    I wouldn't buy one.

Im aware that u are only interested in overpriced Giant bikes :)
  • rockmonkeysc
    Looks like most Canyons. Generic frame with nice bits bolted to it. Nothing special.
    I wouldn't buy one.

Giant are pretty good value compared to most big brands and they make excellent frames.
    I don't actually own any Giants any more though. It's all about the frame if you want a great ride and although Transition frames are expensive, the Scout is the best frame I have ridden. I could have got a complete Canyon for the same cost as my frame but having tried one I found it too flexy and didn't like the wallowey rear suspension.
    I understand why people buy Canyons and sell the frame straight away, it's a cheap way to buy components to build up a new frame.
  • Looks like most Canyons. Generic frame with nice bits bolted to it. Nothing special.
    I wouldn't buy one.

Giant are pretty good value compared to most big brands and they make excellent frames.
    I don't actually own any Giants any more though. It's all about the frame if you want a great ride and although Transition frames are expensive, the Scout is the best frame I have ridden. I could have got a complete Canyon for the same cost as my frame but having tried one I found it too flexy and didn't like the wallowey rear suspension.
    I understand why people buy Canyons and sell the frame straight away, it's a cheap way to buy components to build up a new frame.

I know quite alot of people who owns a Canyon and are very happy about it (and diden't sell the frame :)). Also Canyon have been winning quite a lot of prices - Recently the Strive won a bike of the year price.

The all time best enduro rider Fabian Barel rides Canyon. So i don't think u are right about the frames beeing bad - Maybe they was some years ago, but now they make top quality frames.

I Agree that Giant makes some pretty nice bikes - but not in the 29er range

You are right about Transition Bikes - was i rich i would buy the smuggler right away.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Fabian Barel rides a Canyon because he's paid to ride on and say it's brilliant. I occasionally ride with a few pro riders and they'll race on anything they're paid to ride. Just because they don't like the bike doesn't mean they can't win races on it. One racer I regularly ride with managed to win his category in a national race on a frame with a three inch long crack in it!
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I wouldn't buy one.

so like every other bike manufacturer then.
  • Fabian Barel rides a Canyon because he's paid to ride on and say it's brilliant. I occasionally ride with a few pro riders and they'll race on anything they're paid to ride. Just because they don't like the bike doesn't mean they can't win races on it. One racer I regularly ride with managed to win his category in a national race on a frame with a three inch long crack in it!

I would still say that they make very good quality frames for the normal rider
  • rockmonkeysc
    They don't make frames, they buy them. Like every other manufacturer.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    They don't make frames, they buy them. Like every other manufacturer.

sub contracting to another company isn't a bad thing. Maybe if orange did it they would have cheaper bikes with nicer welds lol
  • rockmonkeysc
    There's nothing wrong with the welds on Orange frames. They look worse than they are because of the amount of weld in the frame.
    A lot of frames with neat looking welds either use loads of filler (Boardman) or re-melt the weld with a second pass of the torch to smooth out the welds (Canondale) neither of these do anything except hide how bad the weld could actually be.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    We should all accept that rockmonkeysc knows far more about mtbs than any of us. He has ridden pretty much all bikes and has decided that the expensive frame that he bought is the best. Therefore cheap direct buy bikes are to be frowned upon, regardless of the fact that they may be great bikes. Oh and he rides with pros (as he mentions quite often) so he must know what he is on about.... :roll:
  • rockmonkeysc
    Some direct sale bikes are pretty good. I like the Rose Uncle Jimbo & Granite Chief. The Solid Strike is excellent. Nukeproof are a budget brand and make some good (and not so good) bikes.
    I have ridden a few Canyons and didn't like the rear suspension on any of them, it needs more of a rising rate to stop it wallowing, which can be sorted with a bit of tuning. The rear end flex on the Torque and Strive can't be fixed though. Both bikes seemed ideal when I was looking for bikes and I managed to get a ride on them.
  • Some direct sale bikes are pretty good. I like the Rose Uncle Jimbo & Granite Chief. The Solid Strike is excellent. Nukeproof are a budget brand and make some good (and not so good) bikes.
    I have ridden a few Canyons and didn't like the rear suspension on any of them, it needs more of a rising rate to stop it wallowing, which can be sorted with a bit of tuning. The rear end flex on the Torque and Strive can't be fixed though. Both bikes seemed ideal when I was looking for bikes and I managed to get a ride on them.

Whats your opinion on cube stereo 120 Carbon bikes rockmonkey - im Also looking a bit on specialized camber comp alloy (comp Carbon is really expensives here In Denmark unfortunally)
  • mrtn
    mrtn Posts: 24

Interesting points. So what's with the flex you mention? Is it because the rear triangle is not in one piece? If you could explain it to a non-expert as me, would be much appreciated. What about the Nerve? Or the Lux, which has short travel? Same problems?
  • rockmonkeysc
    The flex could be caused by weaker chain stays or pivots, it's impossible to tell. I have read a review of the Nerve which mentioned flex but I haven't ridden one, it's not the sort of bike I would be interested in owning.