Tools for Shimano Pressfit BB

siddy1972
siddy1972 Posts: 180
edited December 2015 in Workshop
Hi all. I have a new frame on the way (colnago C60), I'll be building it up myself, my only question is about the BB. It takes a Shimano Pressfit, and I've never fitted one before, and don't want to screw it up on this frame. I have a headset press already, my question is, what parts do I need to get to use this? Or would I be better off buying a proper tool? If so, which tool do you guys recommend for this job?
Thanks for any advice / tips :-)

Comments

• mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    you need this Parktools BBT-90.3 removes and fits, you just need some threaded bar, the install cups are machined so they press correctly on the PF bearing housing.

i ve one for my carbon mtb and it does the job very easily, ok you can mess about with washers and hammers but you ve a 3k frame so why would you?

i found that fitting the BB into the carbon BB dry, gave a slight creak, removed and used silicon grease, perfect.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Unless you are going to be doing it often, you maybe best going down to your local bike shop to have them pop them in rather than buying dedicated tools.

If you dont mind tinkering and going down the DIY route, and scrounging around your local hardware stores:
    a length of threaded bar, suitable washers (that wont impede with the bearings) and wing nuts should be ok. It can be a surprisingly easy job to do, and if you are a good DIY kind of person I can't see why you would damage your frame.

The most important aspects are to ensure they are going in square, and the washers don't push against the inner part of the bb/ bearings.

As I say, it is a very simple job if you know what you are doing :wink:
  • :wink: i bought the parktool one because your LBS may well charge what the tool costs (£30 from Koo bikes) and i personally would nt leave a c60 with my LBS ! plus you ll have the costs of drop off and collect?
    the proper tool makes instal and removal a doddle, messing about with washers is a faff, agree on making sure bearing goes in nice and square but tbh thats easy....with the right tool :wink::lol:
  • That was kind of my thought process really. I didn't want the frame clamping in one of those top tube crushing work stands, I guess the way to go is the park tool- it should work with my existing headset press - right?
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    That was kind of my thought process really. I didn't want the frame clamping in one of those top tube crushing work stands, I guess the way to go is the park tool- it should work with my existing headset press - right?

so long as the threaded bar of your press will fit into the instal cups of the park one. very unlikely it wont, if not, buy some threaded bar, 2 x washer and 2x nuts.
    Silicon grease from a plumbers suppler.
  • Great. Thanks for the info. Just ordered the Park Tool. Pricey for a one use every 2 years tool, but how silly would I feel if I trashed by frame using penny washers and blocks of wood...
    Thanks everyone for the advice.
  • Having worked on and built C60s be aware that the frame cups Colnago fit can produce a slightly too easy pressfit. I've worked with one where it was possible to insert the BB quite a long way simply with hand pressure, the frame cup was a little wider in the bore than ideal.

They aren't all the same, however, the manufacturing tolerances are a bit variable. If you do find that the BB installation requires very little pressure then you could end up with some clicks and creaks from the BB further down the line. In that situation refitting the BB cups using some Loctite 641 bearing retention compound can help.
  • Great info. I'll keep an eye open for that. Thanks very much :-)
  • Your headset press should work, you just click up the adjustable stop so you can just use the threaded portion though.
    All you need buy are the small adaptors that fit the shimano cups.

The best way to press them in is not what you see posted up all over the place.
    Just press one cup in first with the other stopper side resting on the frame.
    This ensures that the press remains square and stops the cups from wriggling in and deforming the frame BB.
    Once you have one pressed in straight the other will do the same.
    Takes a little longer but looks after the frame.

Grease the cups and ends of the seal tube and make sure that the seal tube lines up well before applying any force.
    Grease the spindle shaft as well and make sure you use a torque wrench to do up the crank arm bolts to stop it walking off on a taper.